First time

  • oopsgotago
    Message 1 of 3 , May 13, 2002
      Hi all. I hatched a batch of triops that I bought and now that they
      have died I am trying to gather the eggs. I took out all the gravel
      from my tank and am left with a bunch of muck. I think I get the
      gist of how to sift out the eggs but the problem is that I do not
      know what they look like. I know that sounds dumb but I have never
      done this and it was over a month ago that I put the eggs in the
      water. Is there a down side to just letting the water evaporate out
      of the muck with the eggs in it?

      Oopsgotago: )
    • tgirl_admirer
      Message 2 of 3 , May 14, 2002
        From what I understand, assuming the "gunk" has eggs in it, that
        sounds like a good way to go. Some places I've read suggest that a
        minimum of 60 days of being dried-out is required. However, on
        Chip's Triops page, he suggests that 2 weeks is plenty, so long as
        you stimulate "winter" by freezing the egg-mix for a few days, which
        he states will increase hatching rates noticeably.

        I've been getting babies to hatch from dried-eggs from my own Triops,
        but I have been having a terrible time getting them to survive for
        more than a day or so. (I'll post separately about this.) So you'd
        better talk to Paul or someone else who knows what they are doing if
        you want your baby T's to grew into adulthood. I've been successful
        at that 3 out of 4 times with the Triassic Triops kits.

        Good Luck!

        --- In triopsforever@y..., "oopsgotago" <oopsgotago@y...> wrote:
        > Hi all. I hatched a batch of triops that I bought and now that
        they
        > have died I am trying to gather the eggs. I took out all the
        gravel
        > from my tank and am left with a bunch of muck. I think I get the
        > gist of how to sift out the eggs but the problem is that I do not
        > know what they look like. I know that sounds dumb but I have never
        > done this and it was over a month ago that I put the eggs in the
        > water. Is there a down side to just letting the water evaporate
        out
        > of the muck with the eggs in it?
        >
        > Oopsgotago: )
      • emucompboy
        Message 3 of 3 , May 14, 2002
          > From what I understand, assuming the "gunk" has eggs in it, that
          > sounds like a good way to go. Some places I've read suggest that a
          > minimum of 60 days of being dried-out is required. However, on

          Don't need to wait 60 days or even two weeks or simulate winter, if
          you live in a dry climate. I've let my eggs dry out only 2-3 days,
          and it has worked just fine. The eggs do need to dry out completely.

          > I've been getting babies to hatch from dried-eggs from my own
          Triops,
          > but I have been having a terrible time getting them to survive for
          > more than a day or so. (I'll post separately about this.) So

          Food, glorious food. I've had better luck with clay muck than with
          coconut bark. Add a tiny bit of powdered Spirulina (from health food
          store -- buy the powder, not the pills!) every day after you see the
          first nauplius, and make sure it sinks below the surface.

          > > gist of how to sift out the eggs but the problem is that I do not
          > > know what they look like. I know that sounds dumb but I have

          They look like brine shrimp eggs, but lighter in color and a little
          crumpled. You can see brine shrimp eggs in bottles at your local pet
          shop.

          > > water. Is there a down side to just letting the water evaporate
          > out
          > > of the muck with the eggs in it?

          The downside is that you'll have a container full of dried muck. For
          starting your next set of Triops, you'll want to use as much of that
          dried muck as you think may contain about 20 Triops eggs.

          Your dried muck may also contain eggs from other creatures. From my
          aquarium, I'm also getting worms and cyclops.