impact of fine particulate matter (sand "dust") in sand for triops use

  • tgirl_admirer
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1 1:37 PM
      Hey Gang,

      I rinsed out the new tank with hot water last night, and have begun
      filling it with pitchers of brita-filtered water. Yes, it's an
      insanely laborious approach, but I'm funny that way.

      I also started rinsing the sand I plan to use, and it is presenting a
      small dilemma that I would like some feedback on.

      The sand is quite fine--and the way I've been cleaning the finer
      particles and "dust" out of it is by placing a few cups of it in a
      plastic tub, and repeatedly filling it with water, agitating the
      sand, waiting a couple seconds for the larger bits to settle, and
      then pouring off the rest. I am finding that I have to do this 20-30
      times to end up with moderately clear water.

      My question is whether I have to be really "type-A" about this, or
      whether I can start with a small amount of suspended "dust" with the
      assumption that the foam filter will be able to clear it out of the
      water? What do you think, Paul?

      I had intended on starting my "guinea pig" test this morning before
      leaving for work, but I was unsatisfied by how cloudy my test
      sand/water was, and spent some additional time rinsing it. So,
      tonight I will put a triops in that test tank and see if it lasts a
      few hours. Assuming it survives (I put water from the two existing
      tanks in it, so aside from the slight amount of remaining rinse water
      from the tap, the water should be acceptable), I will start putting
      washed sand into the aquarium as I continue filling it--unless any of
      you knows some reason why I should not.

      While I'm filtering the water before it goes into the aquarium, I may
      still treat it with AmQuel before putting living things in there.

      Thanks in advance for your comments.

      vipal
    • dashner_2000
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1 4:44 PM
        --- In triopsforever@y..., "tgirl_admirer" <tgirl_admirer@y...> wrote:
        > Hey Gang,
        >
        > I rinsed out the new tank with hot water last night, and have begun
        > filling it with pitchers of brita-filtered water. Yes, it's an
        > insanely laborious approach, but I'm funny that way.
        >
        > I also started rinsing the sand I plan to use, and it is presenting
        > small dilemma that I would like some feedback on.
        >
        > The sand is quite fine--and the way I've been cleaning the finer
        > particles and "dust" out of it is by placing a few cups of it in a
        > plastic tub, and repeatedly filling it with water, agitating the
        > sand, waiting a couple seconds for the larger bits to settle, and
        > then pouring off the rest. I am finding that I have to do this 20-
        30
        > times to end up with moderately clear water.
        >
        > My question is whether I have to be really "type-A" about this, or
        > whether I can start with a small amount of suspended "dust" with
        the
        > assumption that the foam filter will be able to clear it out of the
        > water? What do you think, Paul?
        >
        > I had intended on starting my "guinea pig" test this morning before
        > leaving for work, but I was unsatisfied by how cloudy my test
        > sand/water was, and spent some additional time rinsing it. So,
        > tonight I will put a triops in that test tank and see if it lasts a
        > few hours. Assuming it survives (I put water from the two existing
        > tanks in it, so aside from the slight amount of remaining rinse
        water
        > from the tap, the water should be acceptable), I will start putting
        > washed sand into the aquarium as I continue filling it--unless any
        of
        > you knows some reason why I should not.
        >
        > While I'm filtering the water before it goes into the aquarium, I
        may
        > still treat it with AmQuel before putting living things in there.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for your comments.
        >

        > vipal

        Hello Vipal: The fine sand that you are working with sounds like you
        will drive yourself nuts before you have it all to the size you want.

        Asuming that the sand is safe in the first place, The rinsing is
        only for asthetics. "dont worry about a little cloudyness as the
        filter will take care of it".
        I run the air full strength through the foam filter for some few
        hours and it will clear up.
        I use a valve to regulate the air flow after this time as it can
        realy put out the noise BLUB BLUB! I asume it is not clay silt or
        such.
        As for the water,I have my own well that we use for our water system.
        No chlorine! But I have been told that letting the open tank set for
        a day or so will rid you of the rest of the chlorine.
        I have not had to deal with the city water myself.
        The key is patients.
        Let it work for the night or so and you should be all set. I look
        forward to the news of your new tank being set up and populated with
        happy Triops. Good Luck Paul...