Re: [trimedia] dvpmon <-> jtag problem with downloader symbols

  • Alfred Lee
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2005
      Is your EEPROM setting reporting correct clock frequency?

      Best Regards,
      Alfred Lee

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 20, 2005
        _clock_freq_init is no longer used on the 1500. There the clocks are
        always derived from a 27Mhz crystal. All of the stuff you are
        mentioning was necessary on the 1300. On the 1500, these things are set
        in the boot ROM, and they could be reset later by the program if you
        need to.

        Chuck Peplinski
        TriMedian at MDS www.mds.com

        Harm Verhagen wrote:

        > system: custom pnx1500 board, with MDS-jtag connection.
        >
        > I'm having trouble with the downloader symbols on our system.
        >
        > We had some performance differences between .out files and .mi files.
        > We traces this down to an incorrect setting of the following variable:
        > _clock_freq_init. This is a so called downloader variable, set by the
        > download tool (in case of .out) or build into the image (in case of .mi).
        >

        > We build nohost .out and .mi files.
        > We have a problem in our .out files, when we download this with dvpmon
        > (over jtag).
        >

        > file
        > .mi dvpmon _clock_freq_init=300Mhz
        > .out dvpmon _clock_freq_init=100Mhz
        > .out(same) tmdbg.exe _clock_freq_init=300Mhz.
        >

        > .mi is simple, the symbol gets resolved when building.
        > .out over tmdbg is OK. There is an entry in the download dialog box
        > how to set the cpuspeed.
        >
        > How to set the cpu/speed with dvpmon ?
        > I know that for tmman(=pci) there are some registry settings you need
        > to do, Is there a similar thing for jtag ?
        >
        > I tried dvpmon of both NDK 4.2 and 4.3 -> same issue.
        >

        > Regards,
        > Harm Verhagen
        >

        > note: the HW speed is fine, it runs on 300 MHz.
        >

        > Sent via the TriMedia mailing list
        > trimedia@yahoogroups.com - archive at

      • Harm Verhagen
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 20, 2005
          _clock_freq_init is no longer used ?
          tmdbg.exe seems to set it though, and when building an MI image it
          also gets set by means of the -mi -tm_freq $(_TMCLOCKFREQ) command.

          Anyway, our software needs to know the cpuspeed. Currenly it uses
          _clock_freq_init. So what you're saying is: "don't use that". right ?

          btw: I tried to 'write' to the download symbol in software (bsl), but
          that doesn't seem to work.

          Regards,
          Harm

          --- In trimedia@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Peplinski <chuck@m...> wrote:

          > _clock_freq_init is no longer used on the 1500. There the clocks are
          > always derived from a 27Mhz crystal. All of the stuff you are
          > mentioning was necessary on the 1300. On the 1500, these things are
          set
          > in the boot ROM, and they could be reset later by the program if you
          > need to.

          > Chuck Peplinski
          > TriMedian at MDS www.mds.com
          >

          > Harm Verhagen wrote:
          >
          > > system: custom pnx1500 board, with MDS-jtag connection.
          > >
          > > I'm having trouble with the downloader symbols on our system.
          > >
          > > We had some performance differences between .out files and .mi files.
          > > We traces this down to an incorrect setting of the following variable:
          > > _clock_freq_init. This is a so called downloader variable, set by the
          > > download tool (in case of .out) or build into the image (in case
          of .mi).

          > > We build nohost .out and .mi files.
          > > We have a problem in our .out files, when we download this with dvpmon
          > > (over jtag).
          > >

          > > file
          > > .mi dvpmon _clock_freq_init=300Mhz
          > > .out dvpmon _clock_freq_init=100Mhz
          > > .out(same) tmdbg.exe _clock_freq_init=300Mhz.
          > >

          > > .mi is simple, the symbol gets resolved when building.
          > > .out over tmdbg is OK. There is an entry in the download dialog box
          > > how to set the cpuspeed.
          > >
          > > How to set the cpu/speed with dvpmon ?
          > > I know that for tmman(=pci) there are some registry settings you need
          > > to do, Is there a similar thing for jtag ?
          > >
          > > I tried dvpmon of both NDK 4.2 and 4.3 -> same issue.
          > >

          > > Regards,
          > > Harm Verhagen

        • Chuck Peplinski
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 20, 2005
            You can get the CPU speed from the BSL core. tmbslCoreGetSystemInfo
            (&pSystemInfo); I'm pretty sure that is how tmMain_PrintSystemInfo()
            gets it.

            There used to be tmProcGetCapabilities, but that is obsolete.

            As I remember, there is a dereference required on the download symbols...

            Chuck Peplinski
            TriMedian at MDS www.mds.com