Re: [trimedia] dynamic loading

  • Anil Kuriakose
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2003
      thank you Frank for a much awaited reply.
      we are also able to run the program using "tmsim". However we are interested in using them with real hardware. we are using a TM1300 IREF board. can you throw some light on making them work on an IREF board?
      thanks in advance for the help,
      anil
      frank.drobot@... wrote: For simple_dll, using the simulator tmsim:

      bash-2.02$ make HOST=tmsim TCS=D:/TCS2.2
      D:/TCS2.2/bin/tmcc -host tmsim -el -o lib.dll lib.c -btype dll \
      -bexport _dll_function
      D:/TCS2.2/bin/tmcc -host tmsim -el -o main.out main.c -btype app \
      -bdeferred lib.dll
      bash-2.02$ ls
      Makefile README lib.c lib.dll main.c main.out
      bash-2.02$ D:/TCS2.2/bin/tmsim D:/TCS2.2/lib/el/tmsim/appshell.out main.out
      dll_function: x= 0
      dll_function: x= 1
      dll_function: x= 2
      dll_function: x= 3
      dll_function: x= 4
      dll_function: x= 5
      dll_function: x= 6
      dll_function: x= 7
      dll_function: x= 8
      dll_function: x= 9
      bash-2.02$

      For upgrade, using the simulator tmsim:

      bash-2.02$ make HOST=tmsim TCS=D:/TCS2.2
      D:/TCS2.2/bin/tmcc -host tmsim -el lib.c \
      -btype dll -bexport _version,_square -o lib.dll
      D:/TCS2.2/bin/tmcc -host tmsim -el main.c \
      -bdeferred lib.dll -btype app -o upgrader.out
      "main.c", line 103: warning: non-void function "unload_the_lib" (declared at lin
      e 91) should return a value
      }
      ^

      cp lib.dll lib_old.dll
      D:/TCS2.2/bin/tmcc -host tmsim -el lib_new.c \
      -btype dll -bexport _version,_square -o lib_new.dll
      bash-2.02$ D:/TCS2.2/bin/tmsim D:/TCS2.2/lib/el/tmsim/appshell.out upgrader.out
      function square has not yet been implemented
      square(0)= -1
      function square has not yet been implemented
      square(1)= -1
      function square has not yet been implemented
      square(2)= -1
      function square has not yet been implemented
      square(3)= -1
      function square has not yet been implemented
      square(4)= -1
      function square has not yet been implemented
      square(5)= -1
      function square has not yet been implemented
      square(6)= -1
      function square has not yet been implemented
      square(7)= -1
      function square has not yet been implemented
      square(8)= -1
      function square has not yet been implemented
      square(9)= -1
      Library version: 'Preliminary version'
      square(0)= 0
      square(1)= 1
      square(2)= 4
      square(3)= 9
      square(4)= 16
      square(5)= 25
      square(6)= 36
      square(7)= 49
      square(8)= 64
      square(9)= 81
      Library version: 'Upgraded version'
      bash-2.02$ ls
      Makefile lib.c lib_new.c lib_old.dll upgrader.out
      README lib.dll lib_new.dll main.c
      bash-2.02$

      Getting it to run on real hardware, e.g., IREF, is another matter.

      To: trimedia@yahoogroups.com
      cc: (bcc: Frank Drobot/SVL/SC/PHILIPS)
      Subject: [trimedia] dynamic loading

      Mohit Chauhan Classification:
      <chauhanmohit@...>

      04/23/2003 10:38 PM
      Please respond to
      trimedia

      Is anybody able to run example codes given in
      trimedia\examples\dynamic_loading\upgrade\
      and
      trimedia\examples\dynamic_loading\simple_dll\
      Thanks in Advance.
      Mohit

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      Sent via the TriMedia mailing list
      trimedia@yahoogroups.com - archive at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trimedia

    • frank.drobot@philips.com
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2003
        On real hardware, e.g., TM1300 IREF board you do it as below, again using simple_dll from TCS 2.2:

        To buiild:

        bash-2.02$ make TCS=D:/TCS2.2 HOST=WinNT
        D:/TCS2.2/bin/tmcc -host WinNT -el -o lib.dll lib.c -btype dll \
        -bexport _dll_function
        D:/TCS2.2/bin/tmcc -host WinNT -el -o main.out main.c -btype app \
        -bdeferred lib.dll

        To run:

        bash-2.02$ D:/TCS2.2/bin/tmrun D:/TCS2.2/lib/el/WinNT/appshell.out main.out
        dll_function: x= 0
        dll_function: x= 1
        dll_function: x= 2
        dll_function: x= 3
        dll_function: x= 4
        dll_function: x= 5
        dll_function: x= 6
        dll_function: x= 7
        dll_function: x= 8
        dll_function: x= 9

        CRunTime : TriMedia # 0 Program Exit Code [0]

        TMRun:Press [ENTER] to close server >>

        You can also use tmgmon where the application to run is 'appshell.out' and the argument to that application is 'main.out'.

        The real trick to get TCS DLL's to work is that you have to provide path information to TCS where to find the DLL's. On Windoze this is done through the registry. This is obscurely documented in "TriMedia Manager Register Entries" in the TCS *.pdf
        documentation set. Specifically, look for "DLLPath" in Table 2. In the case ot TCS 2.2, you need to add a registry KEY called DLLPath under

        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TrimediaTechnologies\TMMan

        Then, under

        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TrimediaTechnologies\TMMan\DLLPath

        you add up to 32 paths, starting with REG_SZ entry with the name 0 for the first, 1 for the second, etc. In my case the value for "0" is is "D:\TCS2.2\lib\el" which is where most of the DLL's used by these example live. So, some of my registry entries (I
        have two IREF's installed) look like this:

        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TrimediaTechnologies\TMMan]
        "DefaultEndianness"=dword:00000001

        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TrimediaTechnologies\TMMan\Device0]
        "ClockSpeed"=dword:06052340

        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TrimediaTechnologies\TMMan\Device1]
        "ClockSpeed"=dword:06146580

        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TrimediaTechnologies\TMMan\DLLPath]
        "0"="D:\\TCS2.2\\lib\\el"

        For TCS 2.1 and earlier, I believe you use

        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PhilipsSemiconductors\TriMedia\TMMan\DLLPath]

        instead.

        The source for appshell.out is in D:\TCS2.2\examples\dynamic_loading\appshell. It has an option "-trace" which traces the DLL's being loaded, e.g.,

        bash-2.02$ D:/TCS2.2/bin/tmrun D:/TCS2.2/lib/el/WinNT/appshell.out main.out
        Dynamic loader: status= 0 after loading main.out;
        Dynamic loader: status= 0 after loading lib.dll;
        dll_function: x= 0
        dll_function: x= 1
        dll_function: x= 2
        dll_function: x= 3
        dll_function: x= 4
        dll_function: x= 5
        dll_function: x= 6
        dll_function: x= 7
        dll_function: x= 8
        dll_function: x= 9

        CRunTime : TriMedia # 0 Program Exit Code [0]

        TMRun:Press [ENTER] to close server >>

        Hope this helps.

        Frank

        To: trimedia@yahoogroups.com
        cc: (bcc: Frank Drobot/SVL/SC/PHILIPS)
        Subject: Re: [trimedia] dynamic loading

        Anil Kuriakose Classification:
        <kuriakose_anil@...
        .in>

        05/01/2003 09:45 PM
        Please respond to
        trimedia

        To: trimedia@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 15 , May 5, 2003
            Then add one as described below.

            To: trimedia@yahoogroups.com
            cc: (bcc: Frank Drobot/SVL/SC/PHILIPS)

            Anil Kuriakose Classification:
            <kuriakose_anil@...
            .in>

            05/04/2003 08:39 PM
            Please respond to
            trimedia

            To: trimedia@yahoogroups.com

            To: trimedia@yahoogroups.com
[...]

          • SKumar
            Message 5 of 15 , May 10, 2003
              Hello,

              We are using type 2 flash card. and we are NOT using PC to connect the same.

              We use an autonomous board where Compact fash is connected to TM chip via PCMCIA controler.

              We could configure PCMCIA controller properly. But we are NOT ABLE to WRITE / READ data into
              compact flash.

              we use compact flash type ATA-True IDE. there are I/O mode and Memory mode to read and write
              to compact flash. We tried both the possiblities and fruitless :(

              Is there anything to be done from TM side except PCI aperture configuration.

              I would like to know is there any one who can help us.

              Thanks
              SKumar

              Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:11:32 +0530
              From: "SKumar" <skumar_tri@...>

              Hello,

              I am talking about COMPACT FLASH and not normal flash.

              Is it not the COMPACT Flash is similar to IDE disk memory?

              Regards
              Senthill
              Message 6 of 15 , May 12, 2003
                In the past we have managed to read/write to a compact flash card, so the
                least I can do is tell you it's possible.

                In general I would say to get it working I would always use I/O mode over
                memory access mode (because TM always does 32 bit wide reads with memory
                accesses - this adversely affects accessing PCMCIA devices in such a way).

                But, to help any more we'll probably need more info:
                - Which PCMCIA chipset are you using?
                - Where have you mapped the I/O addresses? (Be careful that these memory
                addresses DO NOT clash with the TM memory regions - even though they are
                I/O regions)
                - You say you cannot read/write - can you do any ATA commands?
                - When you read from registers (e.g. ATA status) does it's value look
                valid?

                With the answer to these we may be able to help you a bit more.

                RMS

                "SKumar" <skumar_tri@...>
                05/10/03 02:56 PM
                Please respond to trimedia

                To: <trimedia@yahoogroups.com>
                cc: Edward Beale/SOU/SC/PHILIPS@EMEA1
                (bcc: Richard Miller-Smith/RED/RESEARCH/PHILIPS)
                Classification:

[...]

                To:
                trimedia@yahoogroups.com
                cc: (bcc: Edward
                Beale/SOU/SC/PHILIPS)
                Subject: Re:
                READ/WRITE to Compact Flash through PCMCIA

                Message 7 of 15 , May 14, 2003
                  Hello,

                  Answer is inline within the mail.

                  Thanks and Regards
                  SKumar
                  In the past we have managed to read/write to a compact flash card, so the
                  least I can do is tell you it's possible.

                  In general I would say to get it working I would always use I/O mode over
                  memory access mode (because TM always does 32 bit wide reads with memory
                  accesses - this adversely affects accessing PCMCIA devices in such a way).

                  <SKumar>
                  I/O mode at TM side, Memory mode at PCMCIA CARD side is done.
                  <SKumar>

                  But, to help any more we'll probably need more info:
                  - Which PCMCIA chipset are you using?

                  <SKumar>
                  PCMCIA chipset - SPD6729
                  <SKumar>

                  - Where have you mapped the I/O addresses? (Be careful that these memory
                  addresses DO NOT clash with the TM memory regions - even though they are
                  I/O regions)

                  <SKumar>
                  Mapped to 0x800000 as first 8MB is for SDRAM.
                  <SKumar>

                  - You say you cannot read/write - can you do any ATA commands?

                  <SKumar>
                  NO
                  <SKumar>

                  To: <trimedia@yahoogroups.com>