Re: [trimedia] Trimedia + DMA Transfer

  • w west
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6, 2001
      This fix was available already more than a year ago
      after some pressure within Philips. We recently moved
      to SDE 2.2 but found out the bug still exists in the
      Win98 tmman.sys driver. So for our Win98 setup we have
      to stick to the win95 driver which seems the most
      stable one. Although also with that I received
      complaints from someone running one of our
      applications. Also the WinNT tmman.sys driver is not
      that good.
      One of our simple applications takes a video
      inputstream, converts the yuv input to rgb with the
      icp
      and sends this buffer it via dma to a host scatter
      gather buffer. On the host a thread sends it along
      (via directx) to the video card (with CreateClipper
      directdraw surface you can send frames to a window
      which is overlapped by other windows, without
      disturbing the overlapping window). For NTSC input
      this should run at 60 fields/s, (640x480 rgb)
      it does in our Win98 setup (with win95 vxd driver) but
      in our WinNT setup it nearly always stops after about
      10 till 20 frames (sometimes we're lucky).

      I Like Chucks idea to make the tmman code open source,
      since then there's a chance such flaws in the drivers,
      as described above, are probably solved a lot more
      quicker. All parties involved commercially in TriMedia
      will benefit from that.

      regards, Wim

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Chris Bore
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 7, 2001
        I sense crossness over the way SDE 2.2 has been announced and
        released.

        Let me clarify this point about SDE 2.2, and encourage users to
        contribute to the TriMedia User Group and to attend the coming
        meeting (June 21-22, Sunnyvale CA) in order to help guide the
        development of the TriMedia User Group as a channel for users'
        concerns and requests: assisting Philips, TriMedia Technologies and
        MDS in further improving the products and services in support of
        TriMedia.

        The existence of SDE 2.2 became public knowledge prematurely, before
        it had been completely tested by Philips and was actually ready to be
        shipped. Some users, who had reported specific bugs known to be fixed
        in SDE 2.2, were supplied with SDE 2.2 early.

        SDE 2.2 became properly available recently and we have been notifying
        users and supplying upgrades where appropriate over the past two
        weeks. Notifications are sent by priority to users who are registered
        as having this software. There are sometimes gaps in our database of
        SDE 2.1 users, and sometimes such notification goes to the original
        purchaser rather than the current user.

        At present I do not have a bug-fix list for SDE 2.2, but when we do
        have this it will be posted to the eGroup and to the TriMedia FAQ.

        In the meantime if any user who purchased SDE 2.1 through us
        (Momentum Data Systems) contacts me (Chris Bore, chris.bore@...)
        then I will ensure that we do send information to you.

        The TriMedia User Group in Sunnyvale, CA on June 21-22 will be a
        useful forum for users to filter any concerns and requests, and to
        meet directly with key personnel from Philips, TriMedia Technologies
        and MDS as well as many other TriMedia third parties and users. I
        established the User Group, and this eGroup, so that the TriMedia
        user community could discuss issues and contribute to a user forum
        that would help users and suppliers to work on improving product and
        service for TriMedia in an organised way. There will be a session on
        the role and organisation of the TriMedia User Group and I encourage
        all TriMedia users to attend the User Group meeting to contribute to
        this process of improvement. Also, this User Group meeting has very
        useful presentations from Philips and TriMedia Technologies which
        will update users on product developments and offer valuable
        guidelines in efficient TriMedia development methods.

        Details at: http://www.mds.com/tmug

        Attendance at the TriMedia User Group is free of charge, as are all
        refreshments, meal breaks and the banquet.

        Chris Bore
        Momentum Data Systems
        (TriMedia eGroup Moderator)
        chris.bore@...