Follow up to last night's meeting

  • Rodney Radford
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18 8:42 AM

      I enjoyed meeting the group last night and I will be placing my order for a VideoLynx VM-70x transmitter later today (looking for a camera first that is cheaper than the one on the PC Electronics site, but has a shorter delivery than 3-4 weeks from China).

      I hope to get all this together for a nearspace balloon flight on May 11. I wll be posting more details about that flight as I get closer to the date.

      The May 11 flight will be a pretest of the same hardware we will be flying at Maker Faire 2013 on June 15. This will be our third year flying a balloon at Maker Faire and I am happy that the Triangle ATV group will be there this year.

      Typically we have the booth nearest the back left door of the building, which is on the North side and should have a clear view of your tower. It would be good if you were located near us so we can point people to your booth for ATV info, and you can point people to us for info on the ATV flight scheduled in the early afternoon.  You could even set up an external antenna out that door, or possibly on the roof if that is permitted.

      I have a couple of additional questions about your repeater. From the photo of the tower, I see the two Yagis, but from the angle of the camera shot, i can't tell if they are vertically or horizontally polarized. I am also interested in the compass headings of those antennas from the tower.

      Final question (for now) - does anyone have an SWR meter that can work into the low, single digit, watt range?  My SWR meter barely responds to signals from the APRS link which is about 5 watts.  I would like to test/tune my J-Pole for the APRS link as well as test/tune the ground plane on the balloon, and a yagi I will be building for use on the ground.  I could either meet at your house to test/tune there, or could borrow for a few days and return.  Alternatively, if you know of one available for sale new/used at a reasonable price, please let me know.

      Thanx,
      Rodney AK4CH Radford

    • Alex Macklin
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 18 3:07 PM
        If anyone is in the market for a nice P.C. Electronics 20W ATV Transceiver with two frequency options (one being the TV Hill frequency), please let me know.
        I am looking to sell my unit. It is in mint condition and has rarely been used.

        Feel free to e-mail me for more details or pictures.

        Alex Macklin
        KC4PHJ
        kc4phj@...

        Sent from my iPhone