Benefit with Ozomatli, Sabor, Quetzal

  • saborsmanager
    Message 1 of 77 , Jan 28, 2002
      On Saturday the 12th, our friend Patricia
      Valencia and he family lost their belongings in a fire.
      with Patricia Valencia on many community projects
      including the Popular Resource Center (PRC)a community
      center in Highland Park (Los Angeles)which offered the
      community concerts, food drives, English Lessons, poetry
      readings, mixed media performances, film nights, Zapatista
      activism and general was the cultural and political center
      of the community for many years. I went with Patrica
      to Cuba with Ozomatli on a groundbreaking cultural
      and educational exchange in 1997. We also went to
      Mexico City with Rage Against the Machine (first show
      ever in Mexico) and Aztlan Underground(2000)in
      solidarity with artists and activist around the world who
      have embraced the struggles of the indigenous peoples
      of Mexico who are protecting their land and
      resources from the multinational corporations who are
      trying to rape the land and people of their resources
      and leave them with a barren wasteland.<br><br>As a
      community we can make a difference.... and as a community
      we must come to the aid of our brothers and sisters
      help Patricia by attending a fundraiser featuring
      Nayarit)<br>1822 Sunset Blvd. (btw. Alverado & Echo Park)<br>ALL
      AGES SHOW~$15 donation~show starts promptly at
      8:00pm<br><br>100% of the proceeds will be donated to the Valencia
      family to help in the rebuilding process.<br><br>For
      those of you who are unable to make this wonderful
      benefit.... you can still help out the Valencia family by
      sending donations to: <br><br>Rita Valencia (Patricia's
      mom), <br>844 E. Sacramento St., <br>Altadena, CA
      91001. <br><br>Make checks out to "Rita Valencia"
    • saborsmanager
      Message 77 of 77 , Mar 6, 2002
        HAHAHA....!!!! great story....!!!! Yeah I
        agree.... Quetzal was off tha hook....!!! <br>They simply
        TORE IT UP....!!!! Marta's vocals gave me goose
        bumps.... all the musicians were incredible....!! They are
        the front runner for the 2002 Grammy for Best Latin
        Rock/Alternative Performance..... but why stop there.... how about
        Best Female vocals.... Best New Artist.... best Album
        of the year.....???!!! We should not be limited to
        this narrow little category.... but that's another
        story.....<br><br>The equipment was all mine and Peter Franco who mixes
        many of the Sunday shows at Universal Citywalk did the
        mixing.... assistant engineer was Ernesto Molina from East
        LA Sabor Factory.<br><br>If there are any other
        stories out there about how the Quetzal live performance
        saved your life or you car.... drop a line on this
        message board.<br><br>oh and yesterday when I turned into
        my alter-ego ROCKETMAN, I bowled my best series to
        date my first game was 224, then i bowled a 233, then
        i bowled a 208....!!! three 200 games in a row for
        a 665 series... woo hoo.... needless to say our
        team won all 4 points for that
        nite.....!!!!<br><br>Mark "Rocketman" Torres