[transport-communications] SEPTA to Offer Daily Transit Newspaper to Riders

  • I95BERNIEW@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 1999
      Here's an interesting example of a transit agency communicating information
      to its passengers. While I know of other transit agencies which provide free
      publications on a monthly basis, is anyone aware of a similar daily
      publication?

      Bernie
      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      SEPTA to Offer New, Free `Metro' Daily Transit Newspaper to Riders

      PHILADELPHIA, Oct. 7 -- SEPTA will offer riders a brand new way to discover
      exciting information about SEPTA services amid local, regional, national and
      international news through the new and free Metro daily newspaper that will
      be published Mondays through Fridays and distributed throughout the SEPTA
      system beginning in January.

      The Metro will be a tabloid-size newspaper published by Metro International,
      under contract with SEPTA. In addition to the news of the day, each issue
      will include a special SEPTA News page with information about SEPTA services.
      Metro International will be responsible for publishing, printing, sale of
      advertising and distribution. SEPTA will share in the advertising revenue.

      About 110,000 copies of the newspaper will be published and distributed daily
      by 5 a.m. so that they will be available to SEPTA riders throughout the day.
      The venture marks the first time that a daily newspaper will be published
      especially for a transit system in the United States. Metro International
      currently publishes daily transit newspapers in Stockholm, Gothenberg,
      Prague, and Budapest.

      "The SEPTA Five Year Plan for Strategic Change calls for improved
      communications with our riders and the new transit newspaper is designed
      especially to meet the needs of daily passengers," said SEPTA General Manager
      John K. Leary Jr. "It will offer us an opportunity to directly provide
      riders with the information that they need to know to better use our services
      including information about new routes, planned changes in scheduled
      services, and updates on our efforts to meet their daily transportation
      needs."

      SOURCE SEPTA