Monday, March 1, 2010
Transportation Communications Newsletter
Monday, March 1, 2010 – ISSN 1529-1057
Intelligent Transportation Society of America’s 20th Annual Meeting & Exposition (May 3-5, 2010, Houston, Texas). America’s leading intelligent transportation systems industry association brings you speakers, sessions, demos and tours that will show you how technology innovations are making America strong by helping to solve the Nation’s transportation challenges!
- Peter Appel, Administrator of USDOT’s Research and Innovative Technology Administration (RITA), moderates the May 4 USDOT plenary session of Presidential appointees and executives on how ITS can help improve job creation and economic growth, create a more integrated, performance-based transportation system and provide Americans safe, affordable and environmentally sustainable transportation choices.
- Share your successes and be recognized by your peers at the Best of ITS and Outstanding ITS Chapter Awards presentations on May 3 in the Exhibit Hall theater. The deadline for entries has been extended to Monday, March 8.
1) All-Electronic Tolling Debated in Maine
Link to article in the Portsmouth Herald:
GPS / NAVIGATION
2) Raytheon Lands $886 Million GPS Contract
The project aims to improve the accuracy, reliability, and security of data from GPS satellites.
Link to article in InformationWeek:
3) Open Wi-Fi ‘Outlawed’ in UK Digital Economy Bill
Link to ZDNet UK article:
4) The Wired Repo Man – He’s Not ‘As Seen on TV’
Link to article in The New York Times:
5) Iowa Newspaper Maps and Tracks Potholes
Link to article in The Des Moines Register:
SAFETY / SECURITY
6) Updated Tsunami Warning System in Action
Link to story on MSNBC:
7) Growing Number of Drivers Check Facebook, Twitter While Driving
Link to article on ITProPortal:
8) Toronto Transit Commission Chief Admits He Misjudged Rider Anger
Link to article in the Toronto Star:
9) Golden Gate Transit Bus and Ferry Riders are Being Reminded to be Courteous to Fellow Passengers
Link to article in the Marin Independent Journal:
10) Prepaid Cards and the Transit Industry
Link to article in Smart Card Talk:
11) Philippine Automobile Group Ask Supreme Court to Halt Use of RFID
Link to article in the Business Mirror:
12) Snowpocalypse to Snowicane: Hype Reigns in Winter
National Weather Service meteorologists critical of terminology used for Northeast storm.
Link to AP article:
13) Scientists Develop More Accurate Snow Forecasts
Link to article in USA Today:
Organization Management Workshop – Enhancing Mobility Through Innovation – April 18-20 – Austin, Texas
Today in Transportation History
1910 **100th anniversary** - The worst avalanche in US history occurred in Washington State when snow buried two Great Northern Railway trains and killed 96 people.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, please visit:
If you have any difficulties please contact me at i95berniew@....
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at i95berniew@....
© 2010 Bernie Wagenblast www.bwcommunications.net