Transportation Communications Newsletter
Friday, February 1, 2008 -- ISSN 1529-1057
GPS / NAVIGATION
1) Garmin to Launch GPS Smart Phone
Link to story in Computerworld:
Link to news release from Garmin:
2) US Department of Homeland Security May Target Small Boats
Link to story in Washington Technology:
Link to report from DHS:
3) Ads on School Buses in Works in South Carolina
Link to story in The State:
4) Interview: Tony Eales CEO at Trafficmaster
Link to interview on RoadTransport:
5) 2008 TRB 87th Annual Meeting: Select Sessions Now Available in Electronic Format
Link to further information from the Transportation Research Board:
6) Maryland and CSX to Share
Agreement will help in tracking dangerous cargo.
Link to story in The Baltimore Sun:
Link to additional information from CSX:
7) Georgia Billboards Will Broadcast Election Results
Link to story in The Atlanta Journal Constitution:
8) New Illinois Tollway Signs Bearing Governors Name Irk Activist
Link to story in the Daily Herald:
Link to sign photo:
9) Flashing Red Left-Turn Lights Blink Out for Good in Michigan
Link to AP story:
Link to additional information from the Michigan Department of Transportation:
SAFETY / SECURITY
10) New Traffic Device Slows Down Speeders
Sophisticated technology can override gas pedal.
Link to story in the Edmonton Journal:
11) Few Delays as New US Border ID Rules Begin
Link to AP story:
Link to border wait times from US Customs and Border Protection:
12) US Senators Raise Privacy Issues about Federal Mileage Tax Proposal
Link to story in Land Line:
Link to hearing information from the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works:
13) Sensor Improvements Usher Cars to Safety
Link to story in EE Times Asia:
14) Queensland Government Considering Adding Rail Updates for Radio Traffic Reports
Link to story in the Brisbane Times:
15) Subways: Going Cellular to Boost Service
Link to story in Metro:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
17) Pilot Program Gets High Marks from Cities in Crises
REACT provides high-quality traffic control at roadway incidents in Arizona .
Link to story in The Arizona Republic:
18) Cell Phones to Monitor Highway
Students will drive along ten miles of California freeway with GPS-equipped phones for a day-long experiment.
Link to story on ZDNet:
19) China Sets Up Coal, Electricity
Transport Command Center
Link to Xinhua story:
Link to news release
from the PRC State Council:
Webinar - Approaches for Building Effective Regional Relationships in the Deployment of ITS March 4
Youve heard of the Bermuda Triangle but how about the Empire State Building Circle ?
Today in Transportation History
1968 **40th anniversary** - The Penn Central Transportation Company is formed through the merger of the New York Central and the Pennsylvania railroads.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the
editor, Bernie Wagenblast at i95berniew@....
© 2008 Bernie Wagenblast
Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.