[transport-communications] Freeway exit signing

  • Chris_Dack@vrnotes.roads.vic.gov.au
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 1998
      I have a problem with an interchange between a major freeway (the Hume
      Freeway, which runs between Australia's two biggest state capitals,
      Melbourne and Sydney) and a major highway (the Goulburn Valley Highway,
      which runs between Melbourne and another state capital, Brisbane). From
      this approach, the exit appears as basically a diamond interchange, so
      there is nothing unusual in this respect.

      The problem is that drivers are clearly not understanding when to leave the
      freeway, and are having to cross the gore area to drive onto the exit ramp.
      The traffic split is close to fifty percent to each route.

      Current signing is to Australian Standards (an advance sign at 2 km, an
      advance sign at 1 km, and an overhead sign at the exit, together with the
      exit sign in the gore area). The signs show consistent destinations, and
      the destination off the freeway is to the left (we drive on the left, the
      exit is on the left), so there is no confusion in this respect.

      This problem does not occur at other, similar, sites along the Hume
      Freeway.

      Does anybody have a rational solution to this problem?

      Chris Dack
      Senior Traffic Engineer
      VicRoads North Eastern Region
      Benalla, Victoria, Australia