[transmonde] MPEG & DVD problems

  • Michael Heley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2000
      HI,

      I have a Vivante SE and am having some problems with MPEG playback and
      playing DVDs, and am wondering if I have all the Drivers, etc. I need,
      if they are properly installed or if there is anything I need to change
      in the Transmonde setup. The main problems are:

      1) When playing mpeg 1 files off my hard drive (using the RealMagic
      Ventura DVD Station (1.8), the picture is very pixilated and blocky if
      expanded to anything larger than about quarter screen. If I click "full
      Screen", the image fills the screen vertically, but is squeezed
      horizontally, showing about a quarter screen of black on both the left
      and right sides of the screen. The Picture is also very blocky.
      2) When trying to play commercial DVD titles, I keep getting an "MCI
      ERROR" –MMSYSTEM275 cannot find the specified file. Make sure the path
      and file name are correct"
      This was with trying to play "The Haunting" and "Golden Eye". When I
      tried to play "Phantoms", the FBI warning played, then a little
      "Dimensions" animation, then the screen just stayed black and didn't
      show the movie.

      Configuration and history.

      I purchased my SE a year ago December with the MPEG option installed,
      but without the DVD player. It has 64 meg of RAM, and I recently
      updated from Windows 98 to Windows 98 second edition. It has the Chips
      and Technology video controller, and the 69000 PCI drivers, (which I
      loaded from the VIDEO folder on the Transmonde CD.
      A few weeks ago, I purchased one of ASE's DVD players. (It is a Toshiba
      DVD-ROM SD-C20021724). I swapped out the new DVD player from my other
      CD, and reloaded the software and drivers according to the instructions
      I found posted in the Transmonde user Group (from Lou), doing the video
      drivers first (using the drivers in the VIDEO folder and not the VGA
      folder), uninstalling the RealMagic stuff, and then reinstalling it and
      finally the stuff from the DVD folder. I have done this 3 times now,
      but basically keep getting the problems mentioned above. The drive
      seems to function fine as a CD and audio CD player.
      Included with my SE at the time of purchase was a 2 sided instruction
      sheet titled "Reinstalling Windows 98" with some instructions for
      reinstalling the Transmonde drivers after reinstalling Windows, which
      are somewhat similar to the instructions that I found in the user group
      setup, with some additions. Under MPEG-2, it says to go to the Device
      Manager area and select "PCI Multimedia Device" and reinstall Driver,
      to install the driver from the MPEG-2 folder. I can't find a "PCI
      Multimedia Device" listing in the Device Manager, although there is an
      area called Sound, video and game controllers" with a listing for a
      "RealMagic DVD Module" in it. Should there also be "PCI Multimedia
      Device" listing in the Device Manager

      I have questions, but will stop for now. If any one could help shed
      some light on this, it would be much appreciated.

      Thanks

      Patrick Heley
    • Garrett Derner
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 16, 2000
        Patrick,
        I too have been wanting to get DVD movies working again.
        I had them working alright before, but then I reinstalled Windows.
        Could you please send or post the "Reinstalling Windows 98" instruction
        sheet?
        Thanks!
        G Derner
        214 Surrey Ln