Re: [transmonde] Digest Number 251

  • Brooks K. Rownd
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 21, 2004
      On Aug 21, 2004 at 02:46PM (-0600), Tom Brown said:
      > Phil,
      >
      > Just take it to CompUSA or Best Buy and tell them to fill it up. It's cheap
      > enough and they will be able to figure it out. I don't have my TM any more
      > but I seem to recall that I had 192Kb in mine and that was all it would
      > take. I think there are 2 slots for chips.

      The Vivante SE I'm typing on has 256Mb, and the manual says
      "up to a total of 256MB SDRAM" (note the word "total") for two slots.
      144 pin 3.3V SODIMM sticks.

      brooks
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 23, 2004
        --- In transmonde@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Brown" <Burner2@a...> wrote:
        > Phil,
        >
        > Just take it to CompUSA or Best Buy and tell them to fill it up.
        It's cheap
        > enough and they will be able to figure it out. I don't have my TM
        any more
        > but I seem to recall that I had 192Kb in mine and that was all it would
        > take. I think there are 2 slots for chips.
        >
        > Tom

        Hi Tom,

        Thanks for the suggestion. I think you mean 192 MB, not 192 KB.
        That's probably what I am going to upgrade to. That should be plenty
        for Windows 2000 and/or Linux, either or both of which I will probably
        install at some point in the future.

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 23, 2004
          --- In transmonde@yahoogroups.com, "Brooks K. Rownd" <bkr@s...> wrote:
          > The Vivante SE I'm typing on has 256Mb, and the manual says
          > "up to a total of 256MB SDRAM" (note the word "total") for two slots.
          > 144 pin 3.3V SODIMM sticks.
          >
          > brooks

          Hi Brooks,

          Thanks for the reply. I don't have my manual handy, so I couldn't
          look it up to double check. In that case I'm just going to buy a 128
          MB SODIMM stick. I think 192 MB of RAM should be plenty, and I can't
          really see spending much money on a laptop that's five years old.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 31, 2004
            --- In transmonde@yahoogroups.com, "Brooks K. Rownd" <bkr@s...> wrote:
            > The Vivante SE I'm typing on has 256Mb, and the manual says
            > "up to a total of 256MB SDRAM" (note the word "total") for two slots.
            > 144 pin 3.3V SODIMM sticks.
            >
            > brooks

            Do you think putting a 256 MB SODIMM in one slot and leaving the other
            one empty would work? I was looking at prices of the different sizes,
            and a 256 MB stick isn't much more than a 128 MB stick. So I think
            I'd be better off removing the original 64 MB of RAM and inserting a
            single 256 MB SODIMM... *if* that would work.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 2, 2004
              "Phil Calvert" <pcalvert@r...> wrote:
              > Do you think putting a 256 MB SODIMM in one slot and leaving the other
              > one empty would work? I was looking at prices of the different sizes,
              > and a 256 MB stick isn't much more than a 128 MB stick. So I think
              > I'd be better off removing the original 64 MB of RAM and inserting a
              > single 256 MB SODIMM... *if* that would work.

              I asked a friend about this. He has built a number of computers and
              is a programmer by profession. According to him the answer is YES.
              Since the memory is SDRAM, and most likely not ECC, one can use two
              128 MB SODIMMS or one 256 MB SODIMM. I am going to try it, so we'll
              see how it goes.

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 5, 2004
                --- In transmonde@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Calvert" <pcalvert@r...> wrote:
                > I asked a friend about this. He has built a number of computers and
                > is a programmer by profession. According to him the answer is YES.
                > Since the memory is SDRAM, and most likely not ECC, one can use two
                > 128 MB SODIMMS or one 256 MB SODIMM. I am going to try it, so we'll
                > see how it goes.

                Just thought I'd post a follow-up. It looks like using a single 256
                MB SODIMM should work, but only if you get the right kind. Which is
                apparently the 256 SODIMM with 16 chips ("16 Chip Micro BGA"). Since
                those cost a lot more than two 128 MB SODIMMs, it doesn't make sense
                to go that route.