loose power jack

  • sudeepunhale
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 12, 2003
      guys
      did u had any problems with loose power jack connection?

      for me i had this problem for long time
      and i had to keep it holding in an angle or so (!!) and it used to
      work.recently i found out i cannot hold it any more

      do you guys have ever got such problem and done soem replacements?
      i called a place or two they seem to tell me its a mother board
      problem which i strongly disagee and the power jack strobe is not
      firm .

      do you know any places where i can find those power jack replacements

      please advise if any of you hav eodne this or experiance any
      such /similar probelms with ur laptop .

      i have a transmonde vivante SE .

      thank you ,
      sincerely
      sudeep
    • Brooks K. Rownd
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 12, 2003
        On Nov 12, 2003 at 08:17PM (-0000), sudeepunhale said:

        > did u had any problems with loose power jack connection?

        If you mean where the power jack post has been torn loose off
        of the motherboard allowing the power to disconnect or "burp",
        yes it is a common occurance, and is commmon for the kind of cheap
        connector used in the Vivante SE and billions of other bits of
        consumer electronics for decades. Lateral force on the connector
        will eventually rip the jack off the motherboard.

        If the power jack has become detached from the motherboard it needs
        to be soldered back on. (motherboard repair) Any competent technician
        can solder it back on, but there is no guarantee something else won't
        be damaged in the process. The dis/reassembly can also cost you quite
        a bit if they're paying a technician by the hour.

        > for me i had this problem for long time
        > and i had to keep it holding in an angle or so (!!) and it used to
        > work.recently i found out i cannot hold it any more

        Putting force on the connector makes the problem worse, and
        the solder joint eventually fails completely.

        bkr
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 12, 2003
          On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, sudeepunhale wrote:

          > did u had any problems with loose power jack connection?

          Yup! About a year after I got my Vivante SE.

          > do you guys have ever got such problem and done soem replacements?
          > i called a place or two they seem to tell me its a mother board
          > problem which i strongly disagee and the power jack strobe is not
          > firm .

          They're half-right. It's a motherboard issue, but nothing they have to
          send it out or get it replaced for. I took my VivSE completely apart
          (it wasn't that hard for me, but I used to work in a TV repair shop
          to put me thru school) and resoldered the connector. 20 mins work.

          Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Los Angeles
          H: 3801 E. Pacific Coast Hw #9, Long Beach, CA 90804-2014 (888) 454-8181
          W: 26601 Agoura Road, Calabasas CA 91302-1959 (818) 444-3685
        • sudeepunhale
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 12, 2003
            guys

            thanks for the quick reply

            i opened my lap top i thin the solder is still good

            when you see the back side oof the power jack you s ee three small
            metal places
            1 2 3 4
            | O | |

            0 is the strobe
            | is metal plate

            when you insert the power connector in the jack can you guys can tell
            me if number 3 has to make a contact to number 4?

            like mine when i inser t i see like below
            1 2 3 4
            | 0 / |

            when i keep to position wher ei am sure my connection is good

            3 is more closer to 4
            | 0 /#

            i dont know how the power socket works but i have a gut feeling that
            3 and 4 plates make a contact when you insert the power cord but i am
            not sure,since you guys know and have seen it work can you tell me if
            i am right or wrong? coz if i am right all i have to do is to see to
            it that the spring liek action in the power jack is made to work
            properly,.

            please advise and thanks in anticipation for your valuable time.

            sincerely,
            sudeep.

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 13, 2003
              On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, sudeepunhale wrote:

              > since you guys know and have seen it work can you tell me if
              > i am right or wrong?

              I traded my Transmonde a few months ago, and it's been 2 years since I've
              opened it up, but it wouldn't surprise me if the internal plug-in switch
              has to be connected.

              Sorry I can't be more help.

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 20, 2003
                thanks Kenneth
                i gues sits time for a new machien for me too :)
                --- In transmonde@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Crudup <kenny@p...> wrote:

                > On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, sudeepunhale wrote:
                >
                > > since you guys know and have seen it work can you tell me if
                > > i am right or wrong?
                >
                > I traded my Transmonde a few months ago, and it's been 2 years
                since I've
                > opened it up, but it wouldn't surprise me if the internal plug-in
                switch
                > has to be connected.
                >
                > Sorry I can't be more help.
                >
                > -Kenny
                >
                > --
                > Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Los
                Angeles
                > H: 3801 E. Pacific Coast Hw #9, Long Beach, CA 90804-2014 (888) 454-
                8181
                > W: 26601 Agoura Road, Calabasas CA 91302-1959 (818) 444-
                3685
              • pcalvert.rm
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 20, 2003
                  --- In transmonde@yahoogroups.com, "sudeepunhale" <sudeepunhale@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > guys
                  > did u had any problems with loose power jack connection?
                  >
                  > for me i had this problem for long time
                  > and i had to keep it holding in an angle or so (!!) and it used to
                  > work.recently i found out i cannot hold it any more

                  Sudeep,

                  Yes, mine has the same problem. It developed very
                  quickly, actually. Most (all?) Transmondes seem
                  to have this problem. There are detailed
                  instructions somewhere on how to fix this, but I
                  don't recall exactly where they are. Probably on
                  another Transmonde forum or site.

                  I haven't had time to repair my Vivante SE, so I
                  am using the quick fix. What's the quick fix, you
                  ask? I'm using my Vivante SE with the port
                  replicator. It's a different way of getting power
                  into the laptop. And if the connector on the port
                  replicator goes bad, I suspect that it will be a
                  lot easier to take apart and fix than the laptop
                  itself.