[transmonde] Hoping for the best, but preparing ...

  • Frank Vorlicek
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 1999
      My VivanteXL won't boot (perhaps CMOS battery problems) and I am sending
      in for repair to ASE. They gave me their RMA # - so far so good. I have
      taken the hard drive out because I don't think that is the problem, and
      I did not want it out in the world anyway. It is a Hitachi drive model
      DK227A-41.

      Question: in the event (hopefully unlikely) that ASE CANNOT repair it
      (lack of parts), to anybody's knowledge, can I use that drive on some
      other machine? In other words, are these hard drives portable, so to
      speak?
      On same make computer or something compatible with the Vivante?

      Any comments or experiences would be appreciated.

      Frank Vorlicek
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 1999
        I just realized that one day, I might need another LiON battery for my
        Vivante SE. Are they going to be in short stock? What's the going price
        for one, nowadays?

        -Kenny
      • rainman@mail.mind.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 1999
          I did some checking and found that once ASE batteries are gone, there will be no more produced. After market battery sources were dubious at best. No one I checked with would gaurantee that they had the right battery for my computer. I suggest you buy from ASE before they run out and alternate batteries.

          Jeff