Re: faulty charger connection

  • gatorhammock
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
      >> I was just about to buy a temperature-controlled solder iron...
      >
      > All that's overkill...
      > you just have to remove with some solder wick...

      Thanks! I am about to do that but at the moment I am having trouble
      geting the motherboard out of the case. Anyone done this? Do you
      remove it from the top? I have lifted off the keyboard and the metal
      plate under the keyboard, but don't see what to do next.

      Garrett
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
        On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, gatorhammock wrote:

        > ... but at the moment I am having trouble getting the motherboard out
        > of the case. Anyone done this? Do you remove it from the top? I have
        > lifted off the keyboard and the metal plate under the keyboard, but
        > don't see what to do next.

        Heh. You've only just begun- now, you have to remove all the screws
        from the bottom of the case, the battery, the floppy/CD-ROM, the dis-
        play hinge screws (the hinge covers slide out away from the middle),
        the USB daughterboard, the status LCD daughterboard, the TFT backlight
        daughterboard, the screws holding down the PCMCIA connector hinges,
        and the screws holding the top half of the cover from the bottom.
        There's a couple of mounting posts that have to come out, and (this
        is all from memory), I think that's "it" (but it's a long trip :-).

        You just need a little patience, something to put all the screws in
        (hopefully to also separate 'em by location), and you can do it, but
        as you can see, it's fairly involved.

        I've had my SE completely apart about 4 times in the 4.5 years I've
        had it- once for the power socket, twice to track down a mysterious
        hard-hang when sound was being played that would only recover if
        you rapped it hard, and once to tighten things up when I heard
        something rattling.

        Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Los Angeles
        H: 3801 E. Pacific Coast Hw #9, Long Beach, CA 90804-2014 (888) 454-8181
        W: 2052 Alton Parkway, Irvine, CA 92606-4905 (949) 252-1111-X240
      • Brooks K. Rownd
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 2003
          Is anyone using a PowerPad battery pack for their 19-Volt Transmonde?
          Batteries are getting old, so I'm thinking about buying one of their
          15-20 Volt models.

          thx,
          bkr