Re: [transmonde] faulty charger connection

  • Brooks K. Rownd
    Message 1 of 7 , May 23, 2003
      On May 24, 2003 at 03:27AM (-0000), gatorhammock said:
      > My Transmonde has a faulty connection to the charger. It definitely
      > is the connector in the computer; I tried the automobile charger as
      > well. I can't charge the battery or operate the computer unless I
      > hold the connection down. I wonder who would be able to service it.
      > Thanks for any ideas.

      The power connector has to be soldered carefully back onto the
      motherboard. If you don't have the tools you'll have to get
      somebody familiar with motherboard repair to do the careful soldering.

      brooks
    • gatorhammock
      Message 2 of 7 , May 24, 2003
        --- In transmonde@yahoogroups.com, "Brooks K. Rownd" <bkr@s...>
        wrote:
        > On May 24, 2003 at 03:27AM (-0000), gatorhammock said:
        >> My Transmonde has a faulty connection to the charger. It
        >> definitely is the connector in the computer; I tried the
        >> automobile charger as well. I can't charge the battery or
        >> operate the computer unless I hold the connection down. I
        >> wonder who would be able to service it. Thanks for any ideas.
        >>
        > The power connector has to be soldered carefully back onto
        > the motherboard. If you don't have the tools you'll have to
        > get somebody familiar with motherboard repair to do the careful
        > soldering.
        >
        > brooks

        Thanks, Brooks K., I think that sounds right.

        I was just about to buy a temperature-controlled solder iron, so
        maybe I will have the right tools. But I do not have experience with
        motherboards. I guess they typically have two or three layers and I
        don't know how to deal with that. Also I have bad memories about
        trying to reassemble notebook computers. Still, maybe I will attempt
        it before I shop for a tech. After a quick search I found some
        newbie resources (such as
        http://www.xtremepccentral.com/forums/archive/31/2003/02/2/3236 )

        Wish me luck...
        Garrett
        Message 3 of 7 , May 26, 2003
          On Sun, 25 May 2003, gatorhammock wrote:

          > I was just about to buy a temperature-controlled solder iron, so
          > maybe I will have the right tools. But I do not have experience with
          > motherboards. I guess they typically have two or three layers and I
          > don't know how to deal with that.

          All that's overkill; where the power socket's attached are just big
          (relatively, for the design of most traces on a laptop) solder blobs that
          you just have to remove with some solder wick (get rid of the old solder
          first!) and re-solder. I did it 4 years ago, and it hasn't come back again.

          Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Los Angeles, CA
          Home: 3801 E. Pacific Coast Hwy #9, Long Beach, CA 90804-2014 (888) 454-8181
          Work: 2052 Alton Parkway, Irvine, CA 92606-4905 (949) 252-1111 X240
        • gatorhammock
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
            >> I was just about to buy a temperature-controlled solder iron...
            >
            > All that's overkill...
            > you just have to remove with some solder wick...

            Thanks! I am about to do that but at the moment I am having trouble
            geting the motherboard out of the case. Anyone done this? Do you
            remove it from the top? I have lifted off the keyboard and the metal
            plate under the keyboard, but don't see what to do next.

            Garrett
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
              On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, gatorhammock wrote:

              > ... but at the moment I am having trouble getting the motherboard out
              > of the case. Anyone done this? Do you remove it from the top? I have
              > lifted off the keyboard and the metal plate under the keyboard, but
              > don't see what to do next.

              Heh. You've only just begun- now, you have to remove all the screws
              from the bottom of the case, the battery, the floppy/CD-ROM, the dis-
              play hinge screws (the hinge covers slide out away from the middle),
              the USB daughterboard, the status LCD daughterboard, the TFT backlight
              daughterboard, the screws holding down the PCMCIA connector hinges,
              and the screws holding the top half of the cover from the bottom.
              There's a couple of mounting posts that have to come out, and (this
              is all from memory), I think that's "it" (but it's a long trip :-).

              You just need a little patience, something to put all the screws in
              (hopefully to also separate 'em by location), and you can do it, but
              as you can see, it's fairly involved.

              I've had my SE completely apart about 4 times in the 4.5 years I've
              had it- once for the power socket, twice to track down a mysterious
              hard-hang when sound was being played that would only recover if
              you rapped it hard, and once to tighten things up when I heard
              something rattling.

              Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Los Angeles
              H: 3801 E. Pacific Coast Hw #9, Long Beach, CA 90804-2014 (888) 454-8181
              W: 2052 Alton Parkway, Irvine, CA 92606-4905 (949) 252-1111-X240
            • Brooks K. Rownd
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 6, 2003
                Is anyone using a PowerPad battery pack for their 19-Volt Transmonde?
                Batteries are getting old, so I'm thinking about buying one of their
                15-20 Volt models.

                thx,
                bkr