Windows re-install - Vivante XL

  • clockdocco <billdiesch@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2003
      Hi Phil,

      I did a little guessing and managed to get windows 98 SE installed.
      Since I could get a 35% format on the hard drive with no trouble, I
      reset the primary partition to 2048 MB (about 1/3 capacity) and
      windows installed with no problems. I suspect that the higher end of
      the hard drive may be kaput. I am debating whether I should try a
      scandisk to see if I can specify a surface scan and repair to free up
      the rest of the disk. Since I do not have the drivers for the Maestro
      sound card, the DVD ROM or the modem, I cannot get them to function.
      The DVD does function as a CD, but will not play DVDs. Also, no sound
      (Maestro). I downloaded a DVD driver from the Matsushita web site (it
      is a SR-8171 DVD). Problem is the file is a read-only file and I
      can't transfer it from my main computer to the Transmonde. I haven't
      tried the Maestro or the Foresson V.90 files yet. I'm done for the
      day. If anyone has any other knowledge about locating the correct
      drivers, I would appreciate the info.

      Thanks, Bill Diesch
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2003
        Hi Bill,

        Good thinking there. That's what I was going to suggest. It certainly does sound like that hard drive is bad. Although you might be able to get by with it, it would probably make sense to buy a new one. Before you do that, though, I'd investigate the BIOS issue further. You could also try using an "overlay" program like EZ-BIOS that basically bypasses the computer's BIOS. I'm familiar with EZ-BIOS from Western Digital hard drives; the comparable program for Hitachi drives may be called something else.

        I was also going to suggest that you use a diagnostic program to thoroughly examine the hard drive. You should be able to download one from the Hitachi web site.

        Phil