Windows 98 re-install

  • clockdocco <billdiesch@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2003
      Hi Phil,

      The hard drive is a Hitachi DK-228A-65, 6+GB. During my trials
      yesterday, I did use your format command suggestion. Id does about
      35% before it runs into trouble. Also, if I try installing windows,
      it will run the format routine and run into trouble at the same spot.
      Then I get a message saying" trying to recover allocation unit 566843
      and it will continue changing the allocation unit number. After a
      while, it will continue running the format routine normally and will
      again run into trouble at about 65% complete, and do the same thing
      with a different set of allocation unit numbers. It will continue on
      to about 85% completion and then quit. If I try to reinstall windows,
      it will automaticallly go to scandisk and run the whole scandisk
      routine; however, I don't think it is doing the surface scan/repair.
      I tried to run scandisk off the Windows CD, but it won't do it. I get
      a message that basically says thst it cannot do it. Also, I tried to
      do a dir command off the c drive and it says incorrect media type or
      something along that line. Earlier it did show a couple of root
      directories in C.

      Most of these problems appeared after I replaced the lithium battery
      in the bottom of the case. Accesses by removing two screws off a
      cover plate. The battery is a drop-in type like a watch battery.
      Could the BIOS be giving me problems? Are there some wierd settings
      that I need to do that I don't have documentation on - I have no
      original documentation or disks.

      Thanks, Bill Diesch

      Bill