Re: [transmonde] Anti-Virus in BIOS?

  • Jessica L. Boyd
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15 10:42 PM
      I believe all this does is check to see if some values have changed in the
      bios. It's not anti-virus software by any stretch.

      Jess

      On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, pcalvert.rm <pcalvert@...> wrote:

      > I believe that there is an anti-virus feature in the BIOS of my
      > Vivante SE. Anyone know how this works or what it does?
      >

      > Phil

      ---------------------------------------
      Jessica L. Boyd <jessica.boyd@...>
      Lead Developer, ITS Web Team
      Minnesota State University, Mankato
      3010 Memorial Library
      Mankato, MN 56001
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 16 10:04 AM
        On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, pcalvert.rm <pcalvert@...> wrote:

        > I believe that there is an anti-virus feature in the BIOS of my
        > Vivante SE. Anyone know how this works or what it does?

        It's a limited form of boot-sector-virus protection; all it does is flash a
        warning if any program tries to write to the boot sector of your hard drive.

        Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Los Angeles, CA
        Home: 3801 E. Pacific Coast Hwy #9, Long Beach, CA 90804-2014 (888) 454-8181
        Work: 2052 Alton Parkway, Irvine, CA 92606-4905 (949) 252-1111 X240
      • pcalvert.rm <pcalvert@rocketmail.com>
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 18 11:40 PM
          > > I believe that there is an anti-virus feature in the BIOS of my
          > > Vivante SE. Anyone know how this works or what it does?
          >
          > It's a limited form of boot-sector-virus protection; all it does is
          flash a
          > warning if any program tries to write to the boot sector of your
          hard drive.

          > -Kenny

          That's what I suspected. Do you know if it blocks the attempt, or
          just issues a warning?