CD burner options

  • k_shakespeare2995 <mohundro@eskimo.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2003
      Hi all,

      While I believe my Vivante SE is on its last legs (the battery runs
      down its power level even when plugged in 24/7 to the AC cord, the
      CMOS battery is starting to fail, the USB port doesn't work...), I'd
      like to put off getting a replacement computer if it's possible to
      find an internal CD-RW/CD-R drive that would fit in the Transmonde.

      Does anyone know if the dock on the Vivante SE is a standard size? I
      could then search for an inexpensive, perhaps used CD burner for my
      laptop. Having the capability to back up my files and burn music CDs
      with my Vivante would delay my purchase of a new PC for a while.

      Thanks for the help!
      Steve Mohundro
      mohundro@...
    • RK Hodges
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2003
        The chance of finding an internal drive is slim, I
        don't recall if Transmonde even ever offered one. The
        only way may be an external drive.

        If your USB is dead (and they never really worked
        right in these things) then your best solution will be
        a parallel port interface. IOW it plugs into the
        printer port and the printer plugs into it and passes
        through. Right now you can get a Backpack drive for
        $149.00 at CDW.com. You may be able to find one for
        less if you look around.

        <mohundro@...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > While I believe my Vivante SE is on its last legs
        > (the battery runs
        > down its power level even when plugged in 24/7 to
        > the AC cord, the
        > CMOS battery is starting to fail, the USB port
        > doesn't work...), I'd
        > like to put off getting a replacement computer if
        > it's possible to
        > find an internal CD-RW/CD-R drive that would fit in
        > the Transmonde.
        >
        > Does anyone know if the dock on the Vivante SE is a
        > standard size? I
        > could then search for an inexpensive, perhaps used
        > CD burner for my
        > laptop. Having the capability to back up my files
        > and burn music CDs
        > with my Vivante would delay my purchase of a new PC
        > for a while.
        >
        > Thanks for the help!
        > Steve Mohundro
        > mohundro@...
        >

        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • RK Hodges
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 31, 2003
          Oh I just noticed a $20.00 rebate too.

          http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?ProductID=418485

          --- RK Hodges <rkhodges@...> wrote:
          > The chance of finding an internal drive is slim, I
          > don't recall if Transmonde even ever offered one.
          > The
          > only way may be an external drive.
          >
          > If your USB is dead (and they never really worked
          > right in these things) then your best solution will
          > be
          > a parallel port interface. IOW it plugs into the
          > printer port and the printer plugs into it and
          > passes
          > through. Right now you can get a Backpack drive for
          > $149.00 at CDW.com. You may be able to find one for
          > less if you look around.
          >
          > --- "k_shakespeare2995 <mohundro@...>"
          > <mohundro@...> wrote:
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > While I believe my Vivante SE is on its last legs
          > > (the battery runs
          > > down its power level even when plugged in 24/7 to
          > > the AC cord, the
          > > CMOS battery is starting to fail, the USB port
          > > doesn't work...), I'd
          > > like to put off getting a replacement computer if
          > > it's possible to
          > > find an internal CD-RW/CD-R drive that would fit
          > in
          > > the Transmonde.
          > >
          > > Does anyone know if the dock on the Vivante SE is
          > > standard size? I
          > > could then search for an inexpensive, perhaps used
          > > CD burner for my
          > > laptop. Having the capability to back up my files
          > > and burn music CDs
          > > with my Vivante would delay my purchase of a new
          > PC
          > > for a while.
          > >
          > > Thanks for the help!
          > > Steve Mohundro
          > > mohundro@...
          > >

          > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Dan Christensen
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 31, 2003
            I bought a pcmcia SCSI card and a SCSI CD-RW, and it has worked fine
            for me for years... Just another option.

            Dan