Reinstalling Windows

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3 11:23 PM
      Hi,

      I have a Transmonde SE that I bought in January of '99. The OS is Windows
      98. It's not as stable as I would like, so I am going to install Windows 98
      SE using 98lite. This won't be an upgrade, but a clean install.

      Anyone have any tips or suggestions? I have done this sort of thing before
      on desktop computers, but never on a laptop. I seem to recall reading about
      others running into trouble when trying this, so I thought it might be a
      good idea to inquire about the potential pitfalls before I start.

      Phil Calvert
    • RK Hodges
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10 6:40 PM
        --- Phil Calvert <pcalvert@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have a Transmonde SE that I bought in January of
        > '99. The OS is Windows
        > 98. It's not as stable as I would like, so I am
        > going to install Windows 98
        > SE using 98lite. This won't be an upgrade, but a
        > clean install.
        >
        > Anyone have any tips or suggestions? I have done
        > this sort of thing before
        > on desktop computers, but never on a laptop. I seem
        > to recall reading about
        > others running into trouble when trying this, so I
        > thought it might be a
        > good idea to inquire about the potential pitfalls
        > before I start.
        >

        > Phil Calvert

        If you haven't made the leap yet, I would make sure
        that you have all the drivers available before
        starting over. If you have the original cd and or
        floppies you are already ahead. I currently run a
        dual boot Win98 and Win2k on my Vivante SE. WIN2k had
        all the drivers (or ones that would work) but Win98
        did not and I had to use the original disks. FWIW
        Win2k seems more stable for me but Win98 is faster.

        One other thing, you should only reformat the C:\
        drive. If you snoop around you may see another
        smaller partition that you should leave alone if you
        want to keep the suspend to disk option. It never
        worked right for me but now I have sufficient ram to
        suspend to memory instead and deleted it. Let us know
        how it goes for you.

        Yahoo! - We Remember
        http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 15 9:34 PM
          RK Hodges <rkhodges@...> wrote:
          >If you haven't made the leap yet, I would make sure
          >that you have all the drivers available before
          >starting over. If you have the original cd and or
          >floppies you are already ahead. I currently run a
          >dual boot Win98 and Win2k on my Vivante SE. WIN2k had
          >all the drivers (or ones that would work) but Win98
          >did not and I had to use the original disks. FWIW
          >Win2k seems more stable for me but Win98 is faster.
          >
          >One other thing, you should only reformat the C:\
          >drive. If you snoop around you may see another
          >smaller partition that you should leave alone if you
          >want to keep the suspend to disk option. It never
          >worked right for me but now I have sufficient ram to
          >suspend to memory instead and deleted it. Let us know
          >how it goes for you.

          Hi,

          Thanks for the tips. No, haven't started yet. I've been really busy, plus
          I want to make sure I do it right.

          Fortunately, I do have the original CD. And I won't mess with that smaller
          partition. But I will probably shrink the C: drive so that I can create a
          D: drive to use for programs and data (C: will be mainly for Windows 98).

          BTW, you mentioned that Win2K seems more stable than Win98. That sounds
          about right, but did you know that Win98 can be made faster and more stable
          by using 98lite?

          Best regards,

          Phil Calvert