unable to boot from CDROM with no hard drive

  • Dan Christensen
    Message 1 of 10 , May 6, 2002
      I'm trying to use my Vivante SE as a diskless firewall, and I've found
      that it won't boot from the CDROM when the hard drive has been
      removed. Is this normal behaviour?

      Dan

      --
      Dan Christensen
      jdc+news@...
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 28, 2002
        My Vivante SE boots fine from most bootable CD's, including many that
        I've written to CD-R. But I can't get it recognize the Gibraltar
        firewall CD as being bootable. That CD boots fine on other laptops,
        and I've written it on two different CD burners, but still no luck
        in the Vivante.

        Does anyone have any ideas?

        Or workarounds? Is it possible to boot from an external floppy?
        Or to boot from an internal floppy, then hotswap the floppy for the CD
        drive, and somehow get the machine to boot a CD? Or to boot from one
        rescue CD, and then boot from there to a second one?

        Thanks for any help,

        Dan

        --
        Dan Christensen
        jdc@...
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 29, 2002
          >My Vivante SE boots fine from most bootable CD's, including many that
          >I've written to CD-R. But I can't get it recognize the Gibraltar
          >firewall CD as being bootable. That CD boots fine on other laptops,
          >and I've written it on two different CD burners, but still no luck
          >in the Vivante.
          >
          >Does anyone have any ideas?
          >
          >Or workarounds? Is it possible to boot from an external floppy?
          >Or to boot from an internal floppy, then hotswap the floppy for the CD
          >drive, and somehow get the machine to boot a CD? Or to boot from one
          >rescue CD, and then boot from there to a second one?
          >
          >Thanks for any help,
          >
          >Dan

          Hi Dan,

          Yes, you can boot from an external floppy drive. You could probably even
          boot from the floppy but have the Vivante look on the CD for some of the
          files it needs. I've considered doing something like that when I want to
          make a bootable diskette but can't fit all the files on a floppy disk.

          There's a technique that I saw once on making bootable CDs. Maybe it would
          work for you. I'll send you the URL after I've had a chance to look it up
          (the page is bookmarked on my office computer).

          Phil
        • Dan Christensen
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1 8:35 AM
            "Phil Calvert" <pcalvert@...> writes:

            > Yes, you can boot from an external floppy drive.

            Thanks for encouraging me to try again. I had tried this in the past
            without it working, but now it's working fine.

            > There's a technique that I saw once on making bootable CDs. Maybe it would
            > work for you. I'll send you the URL after I've had a chance to look it up
            > (the page is bookmarked on my office computer).

            That would be great, thanks.

            Dan
          • Dan Christensen
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2 7:55 AM
              Dan Christensen <jdc@...> writes:

              > My Vivante SE boots fine from most bootable CD's, including many that
              > I've written to CD-R. But I can't get it recognize the Gibraltar
              > firewall CD as being bootable. That CD boots fine on other laptops,
              > and I've written it on two different CD burners, but still no luck
              > in the Vivante.
              >
              > Does anyone have any ideas?

              It turns out that the Gibraltar CD uses a 2.88M boot image. I remade
              the iso with a 1.44M boot image, burned the new iso, and it worked
              fine. So I suspect that the Vivante SE BIOS can't handle 2.88M boot
              images.

              Dan

              --
              Dan Christensen