XP and CPU Updgrade on a Vivante SE

  • johnychen1
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2002
      I just upgraded my Vivante SE with a Celeron 466mhz MMC1 module that
      I got off of ebay. It's running pretty fast now. I also upgraded the
      memory to 256 megs. Finally I upgraded the HD to a 20 gig IBM
      travelstar and loaded Windows XP pro. It actually runs quite well.
      Haven't been able to get XP drivers for the mpeg2 module. However
      was able to get drivers for everything else.

      Just want to tell everyone that its still possible to squeeze a
      little more life out of the old vivante se. Mine started life as a
      P2-233 with 64 megs and a 4 gig harddrive.
    • Brooks K. Rownd
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 29, 2002
        On Mar 29, 2002 at 07:08PM (-0000), johnychen1 said:
        > I just upgraded my Vivante SE with a Celeron 466mhz MMC1 module that
        > I got off of ebay. It's running pretty fast now.

        Do you think any "MMC1" module will work, or are there special
        considerations? (voltage, FSB speed, etc...) I looked at some
        of them on eBay but I was under the impression 333 was as high
        as it could go.

        > Just want to tell everyone that its still possible to squeeze a
        > little more life out of the old vivante se. Mine started life as a
        > P2-233 with 64 megs and a 4 gig harddrive.

        Good to hear! :)

        bkr
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2002
          On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Brooks K. Rownd wrote:

          > Do you think any "MMC1" module will work, or are there special
          > considerations? (voltage, FSB speed, etc...) I looked at some
          > of them on eBay but I was under the impression 333 was as high
          > as it could go.

          I bought a 333MHz MMC-1 P-II on eBay for $40, but it didn't work- HOWEVER,
          there's a possibility that the module I bought was a dud. I went as far as
          getting an RMA to get another one, but dropped the ball; too busy at the time.

          Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting (510) 745-0101