Re: [transmonde] Vivante SE power problem

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 20, 2002
      On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Brooks K. Rownd wrote:

      > The nuts at Transmonde used a strange power brick (19V?)

      Nah, it's actually quite common. The 19V/3A brick's used by Compaq, Winbook,
      and a couple of others, since a while back- if you can get a hold of a old/
      discarded brick from one of these, the only issue is the power connector,
      and you can resolder the one from your Tranny brick onto that.

      Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
      Home1: PO Box 914 Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914 kenny@...
      Home2: 38010 Village Cmn. #217 Fremont, CA 94536-7525 (510) 745-0101
    • Brooks K. Rownd
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 20, 2002
        Well, apparently the power brick is the same as that used for
        the Compaq Presario 1200,1400,1600,1700,1800,etc, so finding
        one might not be too hard after all.

        brooks
      • johnychen1
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 29, 2002
          I have a vivante se and had a similar problem. For mine the problem
          was the socket where the adapter plugs into the laptop. This socket
          tends to get loose due to a bad design. I had to open up my laptop
          and solder the power adapter jack back on to the laptop motherboard
          and then JB weld it into place so that it wont shake loose anymore.
          If your thinking about selling your laptop I'm interested in getting
          a vivante se for spare parts.

          --- In transmonde@y..., "Brooks K. Rownd" <bkr@t...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > After more than 3 years my vivante SE is having its first major
          crisis.
          > I was running on AC today when it mysteriously shut down. When I
          try to
          > turn it back on, but it will either shut down before the screen can
          > light up, or it doesn't make it through the memory test before it
          shuts
          > down again. The first time it actually made it half way through
          checking
          > and mounting the disk, but never got that far again. When I took
          the
          > battery out I pushed the test button and none of the lights came
          on -
          > it should have been 100% charged, and the charge light isn't on
          when
          > it's plugged in. I used it about 7 hours today, and use it almost
          > every day. It appears I have a problem with either my battery or
          the
          > battery charging circuit. Since it won't even respond to the power
          > switch without the battery installed, I'm not sure where to go from
          here.

          > Does this problem ring a bell with anyone?
          >
          > thx,
          > brooks
        • Brooks K. Rownd
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 29, 2002
            On Mar 29, 2002 at 06:56PM (-0000), johnychen1 said:
            > I have a vivante se and had a similar problem. For mine the problem
            > was the socket where the adapter plugs into the laptop. This socket
            > tends to get loose due to a bad design. I had to open up my laptop
            > and solder the power adapter jack back on to the laptop motherboard
            > and then JB weld it into place so that it wont shake loose anymore.
            > If your thinking about selling your laptop I'm interested in getting
            > a vivante se for spare parts.

            Those kind of PCB-mount barrrel connectors are horrible.
            I've been very careful with mine after breaking a few CD players
            in that way.

            I found my problem to be in the power brick (fortunately).
            I bought an equivalent power brick on eBay for $15. Problem solved. :)

            brooks