Re: [transmonde] Vivante SE power problem

  • Brooks K. Rownd
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 20, 2002
      On Mar 13, 2002 at 02:11PM (-0700), Brooks K. Rownd said:

      > Mine won't run on battery or AC. I push the button and it turns back
      > off almost immediately. I haven't been able to get it started since.
      > Never had a problem before now... :(

      I finally located my problem - my power brick has a bad connection on
      the inside. Sometimes I have to wiggle the big (removable) cord to get a
      steady connection. (as evidenced but the green LED on the power brick)
      If I get it happy it works fine. Dammit, I wish they didn't seal these
      bricks with epoxy - it would be easy to fix if I could open it. The nuts
      at Transmonde used a strange power brick (19V?) so I might have to dig
      around the Allied Electronics catalog to find a replacement, but at least
      it's easier to replace/fix than the motherboard....

      brooks
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 20, 2002
        On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Brooks K. Rownd wrote:

        > The nuts at Transmonde used a strange power brick (19V?)

        Nah, it's actually quite common. The 19V/3A brick's used by Compaq, Winbook,
        and a couple of others, since a while back- if you can get a hold of a old/
        discarded brick from one of these, the only issue is the power connector,
        and you can resolder the one from your Tranny brick onto that.

        Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
        Home1: PO Box 914 Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914 kenny@...
        Home2: 38010 Village Cmn. #217 Fremont, CA 94536-7525 (510) 745-0101
      • Brooks K. Rownd
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 20, 2002
          Well, apparently the power brick is the same as that used for
          the Compaq Presario 1200,1400,1600,1700,1800,etc, so finding
          one might not be too hard after all.

          brooks
        • johnychen1
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 29, 2002
            I have a vivante se and had a similar problem. For mine the problem
            was the socket where the adapter plugs into the laptop. This socket
            tends to get loose due to a bad design. I had to open up my laptop
            and solder the power adapter jack back on to the laptop motherboard
            and then JB weld it into place so that it wont shake loose anymore.
            If your thinking about selling your laptop I'm interested in getting
            a vivante se for spare parts.

            --- In transmonde@y..., "Brooks K. Rownd" <bkr@t...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > After more than 3 years my vivante SE is having its first major
            crisis.
            > I was running on AC today when it mysteriously shut down. When I
            try to
            > turn it back on, but it will either shut down before the screen can
            > light up, or it doesn't make it through the memory test before it
            shuts
            > down again. The first time it actually made it half way through
            checking
            > and mounting the disk, but never got that far again. When I took
            the
            > battery out I pushed the test button and none of the lights came
            on -
            > it should have been 100% charged, and the charge light isn't on
            when
            > it's plugged in. I used it about 7 hours today, and use it almost
            > every day. It appears I have a problem with either my battery or
            the
            > battery charging circuit. Since it won't even respond to the power
            > switch without the battery installed, I'm not sure where to go from
            here.

            > Does this problem ring a bell with anyone?
            >
            > thx,
            > brooks
          • Brooks K. Rownd
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 29, 2002
              On Mar 29, 2002 at 06:56PM (-0000), johnychen1 said:
              > I have a vivante se and had a similar problem. For mine the problem
              > was the socket where the adapter plugs into the laptop. This socket
              > tends to get loose due to a bad design. I had to open up my laptop
              > and solder the power adapter jack back on to the laptop motherboard
              > and then JB weld it into place so that it wont shake loose anymore.
              > If your thinking about selling your laptop I'm interested in getting
              > a vivante se for spare parts.

              Those kind of PCB-mount barrrel connectors are horrible.
              I've been very careful with mine after breaking a few CD players
              in that way.

              I found my problem to be in the power brick (fortunately).
              I bought an equivalent power brick on eBay for $15. Problem solved. :)

              brooks