RE: [transmonde] CMOS Battery

  • Vilis I. Lietuvietis
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 10, 2001
      Hi:  My Vibrant CMOS battery is accessible via the access cover, or cover plate on the bottom of the case, on the same side that the main battery is on, near the back of the computer, next to the docking station connector.  It is a tiny battery, which does not last very long.  So I put in a big lithium battery, about the size of a quarter by soldering leads to it, and soldering the leads to the appropriate contacts on the original battery holder.
      Vilis
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 10, 2001
        Ack! Don't dismantle the laptop- this should be very easy to get to. On my
        Vivante, there is a simple little hatch that is on the bottom of the computer.
        Look for that- if you are dismantling your computer you are going way too far!

        I took mine apart because I had not thought to check the CMOS battery until I
        had already totatlly dismantled it and replaced the RAM. That's a lot of
        grief- look for that battery hatch instead. I'm pretty sure my Vivante only
        had one screw holding that hatch closed.

        - les

        > Hi, got a message back in regards to my post on Friday that problem
        > with my Vibrant could be dead CMOS battery. The response said that
        > getting to the battery on a Vivante was very easy. I've disassembled
        > my Vibrant as far as I could and so far, no battery visable. Anyone
        > know where I might look?
        > -Jeff

      • jmeloy_99
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 10, 2001
          Hi Vilis, thanks very much for your fast response. My Vibrant appears
          different that yours... access cover under FRONT of computer, main
          battery under front. No battery at, under or around access cover,
          only RAM card. found an odd looking round item with brown edge that
          says "bat 1" in rear after I got it all apart, but it is "built into
          card and fixed in place.
          still looking for ideas if you (or anyone) has one!
          thanks again,
          Jeff

          --- In transmonde@y..., "Vilis I. Lietuvietis" <vilis@c...> wrote:
          > Hi: My Vibrant CMOS battery is accessible via the access cover, or
          cover
          > plate on the bottom of the case, on the same side that the main
          battery is
          > on, near the back of the computer, next to the docking station
          connector.
          > It is a tiny battery, which does not last very long. So I put in a
          big
          > lithium battery, about the size of a quarter by soldering leads to
          it, and
          > soldering the leads to the appropriate contacts on the original
          battery
          > holder.
          > Vilis

          Service.
        • jmeloy_99
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 10, 2001
            Ack is right but no small hatch... no nothing. I'm with you... it
            shouldn't be that hard and now I have pieces everywhere!!
            -Jeff

            --- In transmonde@y..., "Les Tyrrell" <tyrrell@c...> wrote:
            > Ack! Don't dismantle the laptop- this should be very easy to get
            to. On my
            > Vivante, there is a simple little hatch that is on the bottom of
            the computer.
            > Look for that- if you are dismantling your computer you are going
            way too far!

            > I took mine apart because I had not thought to check the CMOS
            battery until I
            > had already totatlly dismantled it and replaced the RAM. That's a
            lot of
            > grief- look for that battery hatch instead. I'm pretty sure my
            Vivante only
            > had one screw holding that hatch closed.
            >
            > - les

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Vilis I. Lietuvietis
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 10, 2001
              Some laptop batteries are designed to be rechargeable.  My other laptop has one such, and I was advised that this type of battery does a very poor job.  I soldered a big lithium battery, 3 volts, in parallel to this battery in my other laptop to solve the bad rechargeable battery problem.  If it's soldered in, it's probably rechargeable.  I suspect BAT 1 is it, since there are typically only 2 batteries in every laptop, the CMOS battery and the big main battery.  Check it with a voltmeter both with the power on and with the power off, to see if you get  about 3 volts with the power on.
              Vilis
              Hi Vilis, thanks very much for your fast response. My Vibrant appears
              different that yours... access cover under FRONT of computer, main
              battery under front. No battery at, under or around access cover,
              only RAM card. found an odd looking round item with brown edge that
              says "bat 1" in rear after I got it all apart, but it is "built into
              card and fixed in place.
              still looking for ideas if you (or anyone) has one!
              thanks again,
              Jeff

              --- In transmonde@y..., "Vilis I. Lietuvietis" <vilis@c...> wrote:
              > Hi:  My Vibrant CMOS battery is accessible via the access cover, or
              cover
              > plate on the bottom of the case, on the same side that the main
              battery is
              > on, near the back of the computer, next to the docking station
              connector.
              > It is a tiny battery, which does not last very long.  So I put in a
              big
              > lithium battery, about the size of a quarter by soldering leads to
              it, and
              > soldering the leads to the appropriate contacts on the original
              battery
              > holder.
              > Vilis

              Service.

            • jmeloy_99
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 10, 2001
                My problem that started this was that I could not start the computer.
                Push power on and it goes right back off. Got a reply that dead CMOS
                battery had been the cause on another unit. Soooooo..... I can't turn
                on to test it.

                Service.
              • Vilis I. Lietuvietis
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 11, 2001
                  What you describe now doesn't sound like a CMOS battery problem to me.  I hav had several instances of dead CMOS batteries.  Try to probe around with a voltmeter on whatever you suspect might resemble a lithium battery, which looks like a coin.  If you find near 3 volts somewhere with the power off, you know the CMOS battery is good.  Even if the CMOS battery is bad, it's no guarantee that that's what's causing your unit to turn off.  If you can replace the CMOS battery, then you at least have eliminated one suspicion of what's causing the problem.
                  My problem that started this was that I could not start the computer.
                  Push power on and it goes right back off. Got a reply that dead CMOS
                  battery had been the cause on another unit. Soooooo..... I can't turn
                  on to test it.
                  -Jeff

                  --- In transmonde@y..., "Vilis I. Lietuvietis" <vilis@c...> wrote:
                  > Some laptop batteries are designed to be rechargeable.  My other
                  laptop has
                  > one such, and I was advised that this type of battery does a very
                  poor job.
                  > I soldered a big lithium battery, 3 volts, in parallel to this
                  battery in my
                  > other laptop to solve the bad rechargeable battery problem.  If it's
                  > soldered in, it's probably rechargeable.  I suspect BAT 1 is it,
                  since there
                  > are typically only 2 batteries in every laptop, the CMOS battery
                  and the big
                  > main battery.  Check it with a voltmeter both with the power on and
                  with the
                  > power off, to see if you get  about 3 volts with the power on.
                  > Vilis

                  Service.