CMOS Battery

  • jmeloy_99
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 10, 2001
      Hi, got a message back in regards to my post on Friday that problem
      with my Vibrant could be dead CMOS battery. The response said that
      getting to the battery on a Vivante was very easy. I've disassembled
      my Vibrant as far as I could and so far, no battery visable. Anyone
      know where I might look?
      -Jeff
    • Vilis I. Lietuvietis
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 10, 2001
        Hi:  My Vibrant CMOS battery is accessible via the access cover, or cover plate on the bottom of the case, on the same side that the main battery is on, near the back of the computer, next to the docking station connector.  It is a tiny battery, which does not last very long.  So I put in a big lithium battery, about the size of a quarter by soldering leads to it, and soldering the leads to the appropriate contacts on the original battery holder.
        Vilis
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 10, 2001
          Ack! Don't dismantle the laptop- this should be very easy to get to. On my
          Vivante, there is a simple little hatch that is on the bottom of the computer.
          Look for that- if you are dismantling your computer you are going way too far!

          I took mine apart because I had not thought to check the CMOS battery until I
          had already totatlly dismantled it and replaced the RAM. That's a lot of
          grief- look for that battery hatch instead. I'm pretty sure my Vivante only
          had one screw holding that hatch closed.

          - les

          > Hi, got a message back in regards to my post on Friday that problem
          > with my Vibrant could be dead CMOS battery. The response said that
          > getting to the battery on a Vivante was very easy. I've disassembled
          > my Vibrant as far as I could and so far, no battery visable. Anyone
          > know where I might look?
          > -Jeff

        • jmeloy_99
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 10, 2001
            Hi Vilis, thanks very much for your fast response. My Vibrant appears
            different that yours... access cover under FRONT of computer, main
            battery under front. No battery at, under or around access cover,
            only RAM card. found an odd looking round item with brown edge that
            says "bat 1" in rear after I got it all apart, but it is "built into
            card and fixed in place.
            still looking for ideas if you (or anyone) has one!
            thanks again,
            Jeff

            --- In transmonde@y..., "Vilis I. Lietuvietis" <vilis@c...> wrote:
            > Hi: My Vibrant CMOS battery is accessible via the access cover, or
            cover
            > plate on the bottom of the case, on the same side that the main
            battery is
            > on, near the back of the computer, next to the docking station
            connector.
            > It is a tiny battery, which does not last very long. So I put in a
            big
            > lithium battery, about the size of a quarter by soldering leads to
            it, and
            > soldering the leads to the appropriate contacts on the original
            battery
            > holder.
            > Vilis

            Service.
          • jmeloy_99
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 10, 2001
              Ack is right but no small hatch... no nothing. I'm with you... it
              shouldn't be that hard and now I have pieces everywhere!!
              -Jeff

              --- In transmonde@y..., "Les Tyrrell" <tyrrell@c...> wrote:
              > Ack! Don't dismantle the laptop- this should be very easy to get
              to. On my
              > Vivante, there is a simple little hatch that is on the bottom of
              the computer.
              > Look for that- if you are dismantling your computer you are going
              way too far!

              > I took mine apart because I had not thought to check the CMOS
              battery until I
              > had already totatlly dismantled it and replaced the RAM. That's a
              lot of
              > grief- look for that battery hatch instead. I'm pretty sure my
              Vivante only
              > had one screw holding that hatch closed.
              >
              > - les

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Vilis I. Lietuvietis
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 10, 2001
                Some laptop batteries are designed to be rechargeable.  My other laptop has one such, and I was advised that this type of battery does a very poor job.  I soldered a big lithium battery, 3 volts, in parallel to this battery in my other laptop to solve the bad rechargeable battery problem.  If it's soldered in, it's probably rechargeable.  I suspect BAT 1 is it, since there are typically only 2 batteries in every laptop, the CMOS battery and the big main battery.  Check it with a voltmeter both with the power on and with the power off, to see if you get  about 3 volts with the power on.
                Vilis
                Hi Vilis, thanks very much for your fast response. My Vibrant appears
                different that yours... access cover under FRONT of computer, main
                battery under front. No battery at, under or around access cover,
                only RAM card. found an odd looking round item with brown edge that
                says "bat 1" in rear after I got it all apart, but it is "built into
                card and fixed in place.
                still looking for ideas if you (or anyone) has one!
                thanks again,
                Jeff

                --- In transmonde@y..., "Vilis I. Lietuvietis" <vilis@c...> wrote:
                > Hi:  My Vibrant CMOS battery is accessible via the access cover, or
                cover
                > plate on the bottom of the case, on the same side that the main
                battery is
                > on, near the back of the computer, next to the docking station
                connector.
                > It is a tiny battery, which does not last very long.  So I put in a
                big
                > lithium battery, about the size of a quarter by soldering leads to
                it, and
                > soldering the leads to the appropriate contacts on the original
                battery
                > holder.
                > Vilis

                Service.

              • jmeloy_99
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 10, 2001
                  My problem that started this was that I could not start the computer.
                  Push power on and it goes right back off. Got a reply that dead CMOS
                  battery had been the cause on another unit. Soooooo..... I can't turn
                  on to test it.

                  Service.
                • Vilis I. Lietuvietis
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 11, 2001
                    What you describe now doesn't sound like a CMOS battery problem to me.  I hav had several instances of dead CMOS batteries.  Try to probe around with a voltmeter on whatever you suspect might resemble a lithium battery, which looks like a coin.  If you find near 3 volts somewhere with the power off, you know the CMOS battery is good.  Even if the CMOS battery is bad, it's no guarantee that that's what's causing your unit to turn off.  If you can replace the CMOS battery, then you at least have eliminated one suspicion of what's causing the problem.
                    My problem that started this was that I could not start the computer.
                    Push power on and it goes right back off. Got a reply that dead CMOS
                    battery had been the cause on another unit. Soooooo..... I can't turn
                    on to test it.
                    -Jeff

                    --- In transmonde@y..., "Vilis I. Lietuvietis" <vilis@c...> wrote:
                    > Some laptop batteries are designed to be rechargeable.  My other
                    laptop has
                    > one such, and I was advised that this type of battery does a very
                    poor job.
                    > I soldered a big lithium battery, 3 volts, in parallel to this
                    battery in my
                    > other laptop to solve the bad rechargeable battery problem.  If it's
                    > soldered in, it's probably rechargeable.  I suspect BAT 1 is it,
                    since there
                    > are typically only 2 batteries in every laptop, the CMOS battery
                    and the big
                    > main battery.  Check it with a voltmeter both with the power on and
                    with the
                    > power off, to see if you get  about 3 volts with the power on.
                    > Vilis

                    Service.