vibrante 233 and power switch

  • jmeloy_99
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2001
      glad I found this group because not sure where else to turn! have a
      233 in good shape with apparently a bad on-off switch. clicks on and
      goes right off. ANY ideas greatly appreciated!!!
      -Jeff
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2001
        On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, jmeloy_99 wrote:

        > glad I found this group because not sure where else to turn! have a
        > 233 in good shape with apparently a bad on-off switch. clicks on and
        > goes right off. ANY ideas greatly appreciated!!!

        Nah, that's not a bad on-off switch; it works just fine.

        I've got bad news for you; your BIOS is fried. Sorry. The switch is
        a momentary-contact type, not a toggle as you'd think. Once the signal
        to "turn on" is applied, the BIOS/CPU/APM hardware works together to
        power on the various subsystems. If *anything* happens once the switch
        is turned on, then the switch isn't the problem.

        Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
        Home1: PO Box 914 Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914 kenny@...
        Home2: 38010 Village Cmn. #217 Fremont, CA 94536-7525 (510) 745-0101
        Work: 5141 California Suite 200, Irvine, CA 92612 (949) 737-2785