[transmonde] LCD

  • flamingkrap@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5, 1999
      I love the machine, and the people seem nice BUT....

      My LCD from day one was dimmer than a passive display, and I know that
      Transmonde doesn't use passive displays...About a month ago it started
      flickering brighter...like I expect it should look. Mind you I sent it
      in twice before for service, the reseated the wires and no improvment.
      Now it is worse than ever. With my schedule I have only been able to
      email them about it, but no replies. I need to eventually call. But I
      will have sent my machine in something like 5 times in the last year
      for service. This is a bit unacceptable, don't you think?

      I really want to like this company, and I guss I just want to hear that
      this is a unique problem. If it isn't, of course, I am STILL
      interested.

      Thanks,
      Harlan

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/transmonde
    • Jessica Boyd
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 5, 1999
        On Mon, 5 Jul 1999 flamingkrap@... wrote:

        > I love the machine, and the people seem nice BUT....
        >
        > My LCD from day one was dimmer than a passive display, and I know that
        > Transmonde doesn't use passive displays...About a month ago it started
        > flickering brighter...like I expect it should look. Mind you I sent it
        > in twice before for service, the reseated the wires and no improvment.

        Hmm... did it flicker and have problems ALL the time? The people at
        Transmonde were able to duplicate the problem, right? If they were and
        what they did still did not help... then I think it's unacceptable.

        > Now it is worse than ever. With my schedule I have only been able to
        > email them about it, but no replies. I need to eventually call. But I
        > will have sent my machine in something like 5 times in the last year
        > for service. This is a bit unacceptable, don't you think?
        >
        > I really want to like this company, and I guss I just want to hear that
        > this is a unique problem. If it isn't, of course, I am STILL
        > interested.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Harlan

        > GET $10 OFF ANY ORDER @ healthshop.com! No min. purchase req.
        > Save on vitamins & supplements. Use coupon code: EGROUPS at checkout
        > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/432
        >

        > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/transmonde

        Jessica Boyd <jessica.boyd@...> ICQ: 14133529

        My Homepage: My Transmonde Laptop Page:
        http://vgarden.cjb.net/ http://transmonde.cjb.net/

        Finger boydj1@... for my public PGP key.

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/transmonde
      • K.B. Ta
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 1999
          Transmonde webpage is not available yesterday
          and today... Anyone knows why ?

          Regards,

          Khanh-Binh (K.B.) Ta

          Motorola Email: khabita@...
          Pico Design Email: K.B._Ta-RXDB70@...
          1150 Kifer Road, Suite 200 Phone: 408-991-7404
          Sunnyvale, CA 94086 FAX: 408-991-7474

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/transmonde
        • rainman@mind.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 13, 1999
            I too have experienced the flicker. I get about a 10-20 Hz flicker intermittently. It can go away for weeks at a time and then come back like the flu. It can be robust or mild. It can be provoked by disk activity, mouse or keyboard use. It can last for seconds or minutes or longer. My computer is currently at Transmonde being "repaired". I am frustrated as this is the second (4th time at the shop) problem I've had with the display. I know of one other Transmonde owner with a similar flicker. He sent his in for service and after getting the "we rearranged the wires" bit, got it back unrepaired.

            Does yours do as I have outlined above? I really want to like these guys too but this is rediculous!

            Jeff

            <7lrqd5$pp3-@egroups.com> wrote:
            original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/transmonde/?start=36
            > I love the machine, and the people seem nice BUT....
            >
            > My LCD from day one was dimmer than a passive display, and I know that
            > Transmonde doesn't use passive displays...About a month ago it started
            > flickering brighter...like I expect it should look. Mind you I sent it
            > in twice before for service, the reseated the wires and no improvment.
            > Now it is worse than ever. With my schedule I have only been able to
            > email them about it, but no replies. I need to eventually call. But I
            > will have sent my machine in something like 5 times in the last year
            > for service. This is a bit unacceptable, don't you think?
            >
            > I really want to like this company, and I guss I just want to hear that
            > this is a unique problem. If it isn't, of course, I am STILL
            > interested.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Harlan

            eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/transmonde
          • Brooks Rownd
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 18, 1999
              >My LCD from day one was dimmer than a passive display, and I know that
              >Transmonde doesn't use passive displays...About a month ago it started
              >flickering brighter...like I expect it should look. Mind you I sent it
              >in twice before for service, the reseated the wires and no improvment.

              This sounds like a problem I've been having with mine. The first
              few months I owned it there were no problems. Then for a month
              there was a random fluctuation or flickering in the backlight
              brightness. Like a poor contact or bad backlight bulb. This makes
              it impossible to use.

              I sent it in once and they say they moved the wires, but the problem
              remained when I got it back. I was travelling with it for the next
              month and the problem went away during that time. Two months later it
              returned again, but deadlines have kept me from investigating the
              problem further.

              I have had it open in the same position on my desk for the last six
              weeks, because one day it wasn't flickering when I started it up and
              I haven't moved it since. As long as I don't move it, it works great.
              When I get all of my files backed up, maybe this week, I'll start
              working with Transmonde again to try to figure out what to do with it.

              Otherwise, it runs like a dream.
              That makes it all the more frustrating...

              brooks

              eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/transmonde
            • liber1@excite.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 7, 1999
                <199907182200.saa0265-@...> wrote:
                original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/transmonde/?start=42
                > >My LCD from day one was dimmer than a passive display, and I know that
                > >Transmonde doesn't use passive displays...About a month ago it started
                > >flickering brighter...like I expect it should look. Mind you I sent it
                > >in twice before for service, the reseated the wires and no improvment.
                >
                > This sounds like a problem I've been having with mine. The first
                > few months I owned it there were no problems. Then for a month
                > there was a random fluctuation or flickering in the backlight
                > brightness. Like a poor contact or bad backlight bulb. This makes
                > it impossible to use.
                >
                > I sent it in once and they say they moved the wires, but the problem
                > remained when I got it back. I was travelling with it for the next
                > month and the problem went away during that time. Two months later it
                > returned again, but deadlines have kept me from investigating the
                > problem further.
                >
                > I have had it open in the same position on my desk for the last six
                > weeks, because one day it wasn't flickering when I started it up and
                > I haven't moved it since. As long as I don't move it, it works great.
                > When I get all of my files backed up, maybe this week, I'll start
                > working with Transmonde again to try to figure out what to do with it.
                >
                > Otherwise, it runs like a dream.
                > That makes it all the more frustrating...
                >
                > brooks

                I had a similar problem with mine originally. I received it at the end of December, and after approx. 1 month it would flicker and become dimmer, going brighter as I moved the screen. At the beginning of March I had to have the screen replaced (my fault--I dropped it. They were great about the repair). Since then I have had no problems whatsoever.

                Sounds like an LCD problem to me.

                Bob R.
              • Brooks Rownd
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 9, 1999
                  >> This sounds like a problem I've been having with mine. The first
                  >> few months I owned it there were no problems. Then for a month
                  >> there was a random fluctuation or flickering in the backlight
                  >> brightness. Like a poor contact or bad backlight bulb.

                  >Sounds like an LCD problem to me.

                  >Bob R.

                  I sent it in again a few days ago, and they sent me
                  a brand new SE within 3 days. Don't see any dead pixels
                  in the new LCD. (yay!) Had to re-install x-windows for the
                  new video chips, but things seem to be running fine now.
                  (crossing my fingers...)

                  brooks