Re: [transmonde] Blinky Screen Syndrome

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2001
      On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Brooks K. Rownd wrote:

      > There was an SE 266 on e-bay a couple of weeks ago for $500.
      > I thought about it...too risky, tho. Somebody else scored it.

      It is. Much as I love my SE, it's really not worth more than abouit $300
      right now, esp. when you consider I paid < $1500 for it.

      [ window flickering ]

      > It comes and goes. It seems to respond somewhat to opening the little hatch
      > above the keyboard and moving the wires around. What's the secret?

      Well you slide off that cover, lift the keyboard, unscrew the heatsink
      screws off the top of your CPU, then remove the heatsink. Remove that
      connector with something pointed and reseat it again. You have to be
      careful, but it ain't too bad a job.

      > > -Kenny, who also had the Obligatory Transmonde Power-socket
      > > Problem, but fixed that as well

      > These kinds of power cords should be outlawed.

      It's not the power cord, it's the soldering underneath the socket. They try
      their best to make that a really solid connection, but solder is just a metal
      with a low-temperature liquid point, so it eventually works its way loose.

      Anybody with a soldering iron could have fixed your radios and CD players,
      BTW.

      Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
      Home1: PO Box 914 Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914 kenny@...
      Home2: 38010 Village Cmn. #217 Fremont, CA 94536-7525 (510) 745-0101
      Work: 5141 California Suite 200, Irvine, CA 92612 (949) 737-2785
    • Brooks K. Rownd
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2001
        On Nov 02, 2001 at 06:07PM (-0800), Kenneth Crudup said:
        > On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Brooks K. Rownd wrote:

        > [ window flickering ]
        >
        > Well you slide off that cover, lift the keyboard, unscrew the heatsink
        > screws off the top of your CPU, then remove the heatsink. Remove that
        > connector with something pointed and reseat it again. You have to be
        > careful, but it ain't too bad a job.

        Do you know which one? There are 3 or 4 connectors back there.
        (I had to fish out a loose screw today, so I looked.... :/ )

        > > > -Kenny, who also had the Obligatory Transmonde Power-socket
        > > > Problem, but fixed that as well
        >
        > > These kinds of power cords should be outlawed.
        >
        > It's not the power cord, it's the soldering underneath the socket. They try
        > their best to make that a really solid connection, but solder is just a metal
        > with a low-temperature liquid point, so it eventually works its way loose.

        But that flimsy bayonet connector makes a great lever-arm to pry it
        off with. It's often possible to rip the traces clean off the pcb,
        requiring really ugly fixes.

        > Anybody with a soldering iron could have fixed your radios and CD players,
        > BTW.

        These were all HSED's - Hermetically Sealed Electronic Devices.
        Assembled with epoxy, rather than screws - to keep customers' fat
        static-y fix-it-man fingers out. Alas, opening 'em meant destroying 'em.

        thanks,
        brooks
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2001

          On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Brooks K. Rownd wrote:

          > Do you know which one?

          The biggest one, the one with two rows (right underneath the "bulb" icon
          on our LCD info-screens).