Re: [transmonde] Blinky Screen Syndrome

  • Brooks K. Rownd
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2001
      > From: Kenneth Crudup <kenny@...>
      > On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Ben H. McConnell III wrote:
      >
      > > I have had my SE 266 for over three years with minimal problems-I upgraded from 64RAM to 128
      > > and put an IBM 6GB HD in
      >
      > Heh. Sounds exactly like mine!

      Sadly I don't own my SE, and she has to go back to the evil clutches
      of the university pretty soon. We've been through so much together...
      *sniff*
      There was an SE 266 on e-bay a couple of weeks ago for $500.
      I thought about it...too risky, tho. Somebody else scored it.
      There's an XL up on eBay right now.

      > > And of course I have the obligatory Transmonde "screen flicker"!
      >
      > That's actually fairly easy to fix (I used to have it, too), if you can
      > handle opening your machine (it's not really that hard).

      I sent my first machine in for this and they replaced it just
      a month before the big RIP. My present machine started to develop
      blinking about 6 months ago. It comes and goes. It seems to respond
      somewhat to opening the little hatch above the keyboard and moving
      the wires around. What's the secret?

      > -Kenny, who also had the Obligatory Transmonde Power-socket
      > Problem, but fixed that as well

      These kinds of power cords should be outlawed. I've lost 2 CD players
      and a couple of radios to this problem. Having learned my lesson, I'm
      now ultra-careful.

      brooks
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2001
        On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Brooks K. Rownd wrote:

        > There was an SE 266 on e-bay a couple of weeks ago for $500.
        > I thought about it...too risky, tho. Somebody else scored it.

        It is. Much as I love my SE, it's really not worth more than abouit $300
        right now, esp. when you consider I paid < $1500 for it.

        [ window flickering ]

        > It comes and goes. It seems to respond somewhat to opening the little hatch
        > above the keyboard and moving the wires around. What's the secret?

        Well you slide off that cover, lift the keyboard, unscrew the heatsink
        screws off the top of your CPU, then remove the heatsink. Remove that
        connector with something pointed and reseat it again. You have to be
        careful, but it ain't too bad a job.

        > > -Kenny, who also had the Obligatory Transmonde Power-socket
        > > Problem, but fixed that as well

        > These kinds of power cords should be outlawed.

        It's not the power cord, it's the soldering underneath the socket. They try
        their best to make that a really solid connection, but solder is just a metal
        with a low-temperature liquid point, so it eventually works its way loose.

        Anybody with a soldering iron could have fixed your radios and CD players,
        BTW.

        Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
        Home1: PO Box 914 Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914 kenny@...
        Home2: 38010 Village Cmn. #217 Fremont, CA 94536-7525 (510) 745-0101
        Work: 5141 California Suite 200, Irvine, CA 92612 (949) 737-2785
      • Brooks K. Rownd
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2001
          On Nov 02, 2001 at 06:07PM (-0800), Kenneth Crudup said:
          > On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Brooks K. Rownd wrote:

          > [ window flickering ]
          >
          > Well you slide off that cover, lift the keyboard, unscrew the heatsink
          > screws off the top of your CPU, then remove the heatsink. Remove that
          > connector with something pointed and reseat it again. You have to be
          > careful, but it ain't too bad a job.

          Do you know which one? There are 3 or 4 connectors back there.
          (I had to fish out a loose screw today, so I looked.... :/ )

          > > > -Kenny, who also had the Obligatory Transmonde Power-socket
          > > > Problem, but fixed that as well
          >
          > > These kinds of power cords should be outlawed.
          >
          > It's not the power cord, it's the soldering underneath the socket. They try
          > their best to make that a really solid connection, but solder is just a metal
          > with a low-temperature liquid point, so it eventually works its way loose.

          But that flimsy bayonet connector makes a great lever-arm to pry it
          off with. It's often possible to rip the traces clean off the pcb,
          requiring really ugly fixes.

          > Anybody with a soldering iron could have fixed your radios and CD players,
          > BTW.

          These were all HSED's - Hermetically Sealed Electronic Devices.
          Assembled with epoxy, rather than screws - to keep customers' fat
          static-y fix-it-man fingers out. Alas, opening 'em meant destroying 'em.

          thanks,
          brooks
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2001

            On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Brooks K. Rownd wrote:

            > Do you know which one?

            The biggest one, the one with two rows (right underneath the "bulb" icon
            on our LCD info-screens).