Re: [transmonde] Transmondes still in use

  • Marc Brughmans
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
      I just upgraded the memory of my 3 year old vivante se 2-233 with 128 MB and
      everything works very well.

      Marc
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
        On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Dan Christensen wrote:

        > With my BIOS set to "suspend to RAM", "apm -s" does a suspend to
        > RAM, but "apm -S" just spins down the hard drive and makes the
        > screen go black (but not *blank*, it is still on). Even worse,
        > the hard drive spins back up and the screen is redisplayed after
        > about 1 second.

        Ah- I've seen this. Read on:

        > I wonder why it works for you and not for me.

        You're right- but I've got "mobile-update" running (which doesn't hit the
        disk ever 30 sec) and I've got APM <mumble something> enabled in my
        kernel config. Mine will stay "off"ish (I get the same things you see
        when I "Suspend to RAM", IIRC).

        My screen does blank, however, after the screen-timeout I've got set in
        the BIOS.

        Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
        Home1: PO Box 914 Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914 kenny@...
        Home2: 38010 Village Cmn. #217 Fremont, CA 94536-7525 (510) 745-0101
        Work: 5141 California Suite 200, Irvine, CA 92612 (949) 737-2785
      • Dan Christensen
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
          Kenneth Crudup <kenny@...> writes:

          > You're right- but I've got "mobile-update" running (which doesn't hit the
          > disk ever 30 sec) and I've got APM <mumble something> enabled in my
          > kernel config. Mine will stay "off"ish (I get the same things you see
          > when I "Suspend to RAM", IIRC).

          I think what you are doing is different from suspend to RAM. With
          what you are doing, your cpu, video chip, sound chip, RAM, ... are
          all still running. With suspend to RAM, they are all completely
          shut off, except for the RAM. No need to worry about the update
          daemon, since the cpu isn't running *any* processes.

          As a test, you could see how long your machine lasts on battery power
          after "apm -S". I suspect it will be about 5 hours. With suspend to
          RAM, my machine can last something like 24 hours.

          Dan
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
            On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Dan Christensen wrote:

            > As a test, you could see how long your machine lasts on battery power
            > after "apm -S". I suspect it will be about 5 hours.

            11H. I accidentally did this once. (Hell, back when my battery was new,
            I'd get 5H of normal use *on*! :-)

            > With suspend to RAM, my machine can last something like 24 hours.

            *Really*?!

            Before I got a Vivante SE, I'd had a <damn, it's been three years now> Vibrant
            LS (IIRC). This machine didn't have S2D, just S2R, and I recall only getting
            about 8 hrs before the batteries just up and died. I could never figure out
            what the appeal of S2R *was* after that.

            Why do you use it? Even with 128MB of RAM, I'm up and running in < 30 secs
            after power-on.