Transmondes still in use

    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
      On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, George Knierim wrote:

      > Things have sure been slow lately. I wonder how many people are still using
      > their Transmondes. My SE2266 is still in daily use and has never given a
      > minutes trouble. I am starting to think about replacing it but the longer
      > it continues to perform flawlessly the cheaper the replacement becomes.

      No kiddin'. If I ever changed, it would be because of (1) loss, (2) screen
      size (the only real argument) or (3) mechanical failure, but not 'cause it's
      been inadequate. I <heart> my SE266.

      Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
      Home1: PO Box 914 Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914 kenny@...
      Home2: 38010 Village Cmn. #217 Fremont, CA 94536-7525 (510) 745-0101
      Work: 5141 California Suite 200, Irvine, CA 92612 (949) 737-2785
    • Les Tyrrell
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
        My Vivante/XL is still chugging along serving my desktop replacement needs
        rather well, aside from finally running out of space on my disk drive. 300
        Mhz, 1024x768 display, and 256 Mb RAM can be a useable configuration for quite
        a while. The only real heart-stopper was due to the CMOS battery dying and
        making the machine behave as if it had finally passed on. A very simple fix,
        but I dismantled it completely and in the process upgraded my RAM before I
        finally thought to replace that battery. My only real wish-list item would be
        to have a better suspend/resume feature, and perhaps a utility to provide a
        RAM disk ( I have 256 Mb that is powered up anyway, but I really don't need a
        physical disk drive spinning while programming on an airliner ).

        I think I may have some battery issues looming, but am not terribly worried-
        when the Panasonic pack gives out, I'll get more serious about shopping around
        sources like SR Batteries to buy new cans to replace whatever has gone wrong
        in the Panasonic package ( I used to be fairly active in R/C modelling-
        replacing individual cells in a flight pack is normal, so I don't expect to
        find anything extraordinarily difficult in replacing individual cells in my
        laptop's battery pack ). After all, its not as if I'd be invalidating a
        warranty or something.

        I'm pretty happy with this machine.

        - les
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
          On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Les Tyrrell wrote:

          > My Vivante/XL is still chugging along serving my desktop replacement needs
          > rather well, aside from finally running out of space on my disk drive.

          Heh. I took care of that twice already.

          > My only real wish-list item would be to have a better suspend/resume feature,
          > and perhaps a utility to provide a RAM disk

          I assume the XL is different from my SE? I have flawless disk suspend/resume
          (even under Linux, the only OS it boots) and I can even suspend-to-RAM if I
          set the right bit (also doable from a command-line).

          Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
          Home1: PO Box 914 Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914 kenny@...
          Home2: 38010 Village Cmn. #217 Fremont, CA 94536-7525 (510) 745-0101
          Work: 5141 California Suite 200, Irvine, CA 92612 (949) 737-2785
        • Dan Christensen
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
            Kenneth Crudup <kenny@...> writes:

            > I assume the XL is different from my SE? I have flawless disk suspend/resume
            > (even under Linux, the only OS it boots) and I can even suspend-to-RAM if I
            > set the right bit (also doable from a command-line).

            Are you saying that you can change whether you suspend to disk or to
            RAM without having to first reboot and change the BIOS setting? This
            is something I've wanted for a while. Can you explain how you do it?
            I run linux as well, on an SE.

            Dan

            --
            Dan Christensen
            jdc@...
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
              On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Dan Christensen wrote:

              > Are you saying that you can change whether you suspend to disk or to
              > RAM without having to first reboot and change the BIOS setting? This
              > is something I've wanted for a while. Can you explain how you do it?
              > I run linux as well, on an SE.

              I have my BIOS set to "suspend to disk" as a default.

              "apm -s" does the full suspend to disk.
              "apm -S" does the suspend to RAM. It's not *exactly* the same as what the
              BIOS does (I *think* the BIOS also shuts off the power and leaves you with
              a little icon), but the net effect (nothing's running but the RAM) is
              the same.

              There's certainly a way to do it programmatically, too (if Windows has the
              ability- and I don't know if it does- to change the suspend method w/o
              rebooting, then it can be done under linux, *somehow*).

              Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
              Home1: PO Box 914 Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914 kenny@...
              Home2: 38010 Village Cmn. #217 Fremont, CA 94536-7525 (510) 745-0101
              Work: 5141 California Suite 200, Irvine, CA 92612 (949) 737-2785
            • Dave & Sara Smith
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
                Kenny wrote:

                > I wonder how many people are still using their Transmondes ...

                My SE 233 is still in reliable daily use, having run daily since I got it
                years ago. Great machine!

                And Les wrote:

                > My only real wish-list item would be to have ... a utility to provide a
                RAM disk

                You might look at the SanDisk ImageMate CompactFlash reader or PC card
                adapter. I get a nice 256 Mb RAM disk that way when I'm not using the 256
                Mb CF card in my digital camera. It's a nice amount of removable RAM memory
                without a rotating hard drive.

                Regards,
                Dave
              • Dan Christensen
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
                  Kenneth Crudup <kenny@...> writes:

                  > On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Dan Christensen wrote:
                  >
                  >> Are you saying that you can change whether you suspend to disk or to
                  >> RAM without having to first reboot and change the BIOS setting? This
                  >> is something I've wanted for a while. Can you explain how you do it?
                  >> I run linux as well, on an SE.
                  >
                  > I have my BIOS set to "suspend to disk" as a default.
                  >
                  > "apm -s" does the full suspend to disk.
                  > "apm -S" does the suspend to RAM.

                  With my BIOS set to "suspend to RAM", "apm -s" does a suspend to
                  RAM, but "apm -S" just spins down the hard drive and makes the
                  screen go black (but not *blank*, it is still on). Even worse,
                  the hard drive spins back up and the screen is redisplayed after
                  about 1 second.

                  I'm pretty sure I also tried this when I had my BIOS set to "suspend
                  to disk", but it's hard for me to check now since I would have to
                  recreate my suspend to disk partition. (I deleted it so I would
                  have more disk space.) I wonder why it works for you and not for
                  me. Does it work for others on the list?

                  > There's certainly a way to do it programmatically, too (if Windows has the
                  > ability- and I don't know if it does- to change the suspend method w/o
                  > rebooting, then it can be done under linux, *somehow*).

                  Can anyone confirm whether Windows can do this?

                  Dan
                • Marc Brughmans
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
                    I just upgraded the memory of my 3 year old vivante se 2-233 with 128 MB and
                    everything works very well.

                    Marc

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
                      On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Dan Christensen wrote:

                      > With my BIOS set to "suspend to RAM", "apm -s" does a suspend to
                      > RAM, but "apm -S" just spins down the hard drive and makes the
                      > screen go black (but not *blank*, it is still on). Even worse,
                      > the hard drive spins back up and the screen is redisplayed after
                      > about 1 second.

                      Ah- I've seen this. Read on:

                      > I wonder why it works for you and not for me.

                      You're right- but I've got "mobile-update" running (which doesn't hit the
                      disk ever 30 sec) and I've got APM <mumble something> enabled in my
                      kernel config. Mine will stay "off"ish (I get the same things you see
                      when I "Suspend to RAM", IIRC).

                      My screen does blank, however, after the screen-timeout I've got set in
                      the BIOS.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
                        Kenneth Crudup <kenny@...> writes:

                        > You're right- but I've got "mobile-update" running (which doesn't hit the
                        > disk ever 30 sec) and I've got APM <mumble something> enabled in my
                        > kernel config. Mine will stay "off"ish (I get the same things you see
                        > when I "Suspend to RAM", IIRC).

                        I think what you are doing is different from suspend to RAM. With
                        what you are doing, your cpu, video chip, sound chip, RAM, ... are
                        all still running. With suspend to RAM, they are all completely
                        shut off, except for the RAM. No need to worry about the update
                        daemon, since the cpu isn't running *any* processes.

                        As a test, you could see how long your machine lasts on battery power
                        after "apm -S". I suspect it will be about 5 hours. With suspend to
                        RAM, my machine can last something like 24 hours.

                        Dan
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
                          On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Dan Christensen wrote:

                          > As a test, you could see how long your machine lasts on battery power
                          > after "apm -S". I suspect it will be about 5 hours.

                          11H. I accidentally did this once. (Hell, back when my battery was new,
                          I'd get 5H of normal use *on*! :-)

                          > With suspend to RAM, my machine can last something like 24 hours.

                          *Really*?!

                          Before I got a Vivante SE, I'd had a <damn, it's been three years now> Vibrant
                          LS (IIRC). This machine didn't have S2D, just S2R, and I recall only getting
                          about 8 hrs before the batteries just up and died. I could never figure out
                          what the appeal of S2R *was* after that.

                          Why do you use it? Even with 128MB of RAM, I'm up and running in < 30 secs
                          after power-on.