Re: [transmonde] After a careful. <--- WARNING: VIRUS

  • Jessica Boyd
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 31, 2001
      On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, George Knierim wrote:

      > Hi Jessica,
      >
      > Thanks for protecting us. My Norton Antivirus also told me it deleted the
      > infected attachment.

      No problem. :) I'm generally immune to e-mail virii because I run Linux
      and I check my e-mail about a billion times a day so hopefully I caught
      that one before anyone else on the list became infected. This sort of
      thing has happened one time before and the person who was infected was
      treated the same way -- removed, but welcome to come back when his
      computer was fixed. I understand these things happen.

      > Things have sure been slow lately. I wonder how many people are still using
      > their Transmondes. My SE2266 is still in daily use and has never given a
      > minutes trouble. I am starting to think about replacing it but the longer
      > it continues to perform flawlessly the cheaper the replacement becomes.

      There are over 70 people still subscribed to this mailing list
      sooo... someone is listening. ;)

      Last March, I bought an IBM T21. My Vibrant LS had so many defects.
      Cracks in the case which, in my opinion, is some kind of factory defect
      because it happened to me TWICE. They were from stress being put on the
      chassis while opening the laptop's lid. I was able to get the case
      replaced one time but soon after, ASE stopped honoring warrantees.

      The other problem I had with the Vibrant LS, and I know many others have
      the same problem, is the lose power connector. I still have the laptop
      and it's still a GREAT machine if only it would stay on reliably. Because
      of the lose connector, it powers down without warning and sometimes does
      not turn on. Also, the battery doesn't charge anymore -- this could be
      related to the power connector though. Sometime, I'm going to find
      someone brave enough to take it apart and look at it. I'm not sure that
      I'm that person. ;)

      So anyway, I highly recommend IBM laptops if you do need to replace your
      Transmonde. It's great that it's lasted so long for you. :)

      Jessica
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
        On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, George Knierim wrote:

        > Things have sure been slow lately. I wonder how many people are still using
        > their Transmondes. My SE2266 is still in daily use and has never given a
        > minutes trouble. I am starting to think about replacing it but the longer
        > it continues to perform flawlessly the cheaper the replacement becomes.

        No kiddin'. If I ever changed, it would be because of (1) loss, (2) screen
        size (the only real argument) or (3) mechanical failure, but not 'cause it's
        been inadequate. I <heart> my SE266.

        Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
        Home1: PO Box 914 Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914 kenny@...
        Home2: 38010 Village Cmn. #217 Fremont, CA 94536-7525 (510) 745-0101
        Work: 5141 California Suite 200, Irvine, CA 92612 (949) 737-2785
      • Les Tyrrell
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
          My Vivante/XL is still chugging along serving my desktop replacement needs
          rather well, aside from finally running out of space on my disk drive. 300
          Mhz, 1024x768 display, and 256 Mb RAM can be a useable configuration for quite
          a while. The only real heart-stopper was due to the CMOS battery dying and
          making the machine behave as if it had finally passed on. A very simple fix,
          but I dismantled it completely and in the process upgraded my RAM before I
          finally thought to replace that battery. My only real wish-list item would be
          to have a better suspend/resume feature, and perhaps a utility to provide a
          RAM disk ( I have 256 Mb that is powered up anyway, but I really don't need a
          physical disk drive spinning while programming on an airliner ).

          I think I may have some battery issues looming, but am not terribly worried-
          when the Panasonic pack gives out, I'll get more serious about shopping around
          sources like SR Batteries to buy new cans to replace whatever has gone wrong
          in the Panasonic package ( I used to be fairly active in R/C modelling-
          replacing individual cells in a flight pack is normal, so I don't expect to
          find anything extraordinarily difficult in replacing individual cells in my
          laptop's battery pack ). After all, its not as if I'd be invalidating a
          warranty or something.

          I'm pretty happy with this machine.

          - les
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
            On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Les Tyrrell wrote:

            > My Vivante/XL is still chugging along serving my desktop replacement needs
            > rather well, aside from finally running out of space on my disk drive.

            Heh. I took care of that twice already.

            > My only real wish-list item would be to have a better suspend/resume feature,
            > and perhaps a utility to provide a RAM disk

            I assume the XL is different from my SE? I have flawless disk suspend/resume
            (even under Linux, the only OS it boots) and I can even suspend-to-RAM if I
            set the right bit (also doable from a command-line).

            Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
            Home1: PO Box 914 Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914 kenny@...
            Home2: 38010 Village Cmn. #217 Fremont, CA 94536-7525 (510) 745-0101
            Work: 5141 California Suite 200, Irvine, CA 92612 (949) 737-2785
          • Dan Christensen
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
              Kenneth Crudup <kenny@...> writes:

              > I assume the XL is different from my SE? I have flawless disk suspend/resume
              > (even under Linux, the only OS it boots) and I can even suspend-to-RAM if I
              > set the right bit (also doable from a command-line).

              Are you saying that you can change whether you suspend to disk or to
              RAM without having to first reboot and change the BIOS setting? This
              is something I've wanted for a while. Can you explain how you do it?
              I run linux as well, on an SE.

              Dan

              --
              Dan Christensen
              jdc@...
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
                On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Dan Christensen wrote:

                > Are you saying that you can change whether you suspend to disk or to
                > RAM without having to first reboot and change the BIOS setting? This
                > is something I've wanted for a while. Can you explain how you do it?
                > I run linux as well, on an SE.

                I have my BIOS set to "suspend to disk" as a default.

                "apm -s" does the full suspend to disk.
                "apm -S" does the suspend to RAM. It's not *exactly* the same as what the
                BIOS does (I *think* the BIOS also shuts off the power and leaves you with
                a little icon), but the net effect (nothing's running but the RAM) is
                the same.

                There's certainly a way to do it programmatically, too (if Windows has the
                ability- and I don't know if it does- to change the suspend method w/o
                rebooting, then it can be done under linux, *somehow*).

                Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
                Home1: PO Box 914 Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914 kenny@...
                Home2: 38010 Village Cmn. #217 Fremont, CA 94536-7525 (510) 745-0101
                Work: 5141 California Suite 200, Irvine, CA 92612 (949) 737-2785
              • Dave & Sara Smith
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
                  Kenny wrote:

                  > I wonder how many people are still using their Transmondes ...

                  My SE 233 is still in reliable daily use, having run daily since I got it
                  years ago. Great machine!

                  And Les wrote:

                  > My only real wish-list item would be to have ... a utility to provide a
                  RAM disk

                  You might look at the SanDisk ImageMate CompactFlash reader or PC card
                  adapter. I get a nice 256 Mb RAM disk that way when I'm not using the 256
                  Mb CF card in my digital camera. It's a nice amount of removable RAM memory
                  without a rotating hard drive.

                  Regards,
                  Dave
                • Dan Christensen
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
                    Kenneth Crudup <kenny@...> writes:

                    > On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Dan Christensen wrote:
                    >
                    >> Are you saying that you can change whether you suspend to disk or to
                    >> RAM without having to first reboot and change the BIOS setting? This
                    >> is something I've wanted for a while. Can you explain how you do it?
                    >> I run linux as well, on an SE.
                    >
                    > I have my BIOS set to "suspend to disk" as a default.
                    >
                    > "apm -s" does the full suspend to disk.
                    > "apm -S" does the suspend to RAM.

                    With my BIOS set to "suspend to RAM", "apm -s" does a suspend to
                    RAM, but "apm -S" just spins down the hard drive and makes the
                    screen go black (but not *blank*, it is still on). Even worse,
                    the hard drive spins back up and the screen is redisplayed after
                    about 1 second.

                    I'm pretty sure I also tried this when I had my BIOS set to "suspend
                    to disk", but it's hard for me to check now since I would have to
                    recreate my suspend to disk partition. (I deleted it so I would
                    have more disk space.) I wonder why it works for you and not for
                    me. Does it work for others on the list?

                    > There's certainly a way to do it programmatically, too (if Windows has the
                    > ability- and I don't know if it does- to change the suspend method w/o
                    > rebooting, then it can be done under linux, *somehow*).

                    Can anyone confirm whether Windows can do this?

                    Dan
                  • Marc Brughmans
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
                      I just upgraded the memory of my 3 year old vivante se 2-233 with 128 MB and
                      everything works very well.

                      Marc

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
                        On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Dan Christensen wrote:

                        > With my BIOS set to "suspend to RAM", "apm -s" does a suspend to
                        > RAM, but "apm -S" just spins down the hard drive and makes the
                        > screen go black (but not *blank*, it is still on). Even worse,
                        > the hard drive spins back up and the screen is redisplayed after
                        > about 1 second.

                        Ah- I've seen this. Read on:

                        > I wonder why it works for you and not for me.

                        You're right- but I've got "mobile-update" running (which doesn't hit the
                        disk ever 30 sec) and I've got APM <mumble something> enabled in my
                        kernel config. Mine will stay "off"ish (I get the same things you see
                        when I "Suspend to RAM", IIRC).

                        My screen does blank, however, after the screen-timeout I've got set in
                        the BIOS.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
                          Kenneth Crudup <kenny@...> writes:

                          > You're right- but I've got "mobile-update" running (which doesn't hit the
                          > disk ever 30 sec) and I've got APM <mumble something> enabled in my
                          > kernel config. Mine will stay "off"ish (I get the same things you see
                          > when I "Suspend to RAM", IIRC).

                          I think what you are doing is different from suspend to RAM. With
                          what you are doing, your cpu, video chip, sound chip, RAM, ... are
                          all still running. With suspend to RAM, they are all completely
                          shut off, except for the RAM. No need to worry about the update
                          daemon, since the cpu isn't running *any* processes.

                          As a test, you could see how long your machine lasts on battery power
                          after "apm -S". I suspect it will be about 5 hours. With suspend to
                          RAM, my machine can last something like 24 hours.

                          Dan
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
                            On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Dan Christensen wrote:

                            > As a test, you could see how long your machine lasts on battery power
                            > after "apm -S". I suspect it will be about 5 hours.

                            11H. I accidentally did this once. (Hell, back when my battery was new,
                            I'd get 5H of normal use *on*! :-)

                            > With suspend to RAM, my machine can last something like 24 hours.

                            *Really*?!

                            Before I got a Vivante SE, I'd had a <damn, it's been three years now> Vibrant
                            LS (IIRC). This machine didn't have S2D, just S2R, and I recall only getting
                            about 8 hrs before the batteries just up and died. I could never figure out
                            what the appeal of S2R *was* after that.

                            Why do you use it? Even with 128MB of RAM, I'm up and running in < 30 secs
                            after power-on.