Re: [transmonde] After a careful. <--- WARNING: VIRUS

  • George Knierim
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 31, 2001
      Hi Jessica,

      Thanks for protecting us. My Norton Antivirus also told me it deleted the
      infected attachment.

      Things have sure been slow lately. I wonder how many people are still using
      their Transmondes. My SE2266 is still in daily use and has never given a
      minutes trouble. I am starting to think about replacing it but the longer
      it continues to perform flawlessly the cheaper the replacement becomes.

      George Knierim
      Dallas
    • Jessica Boyd
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 31, 2001
        On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, George Knierim wrote:

        > Hi Jessica,
        >
        > Thanks for protecting us. My Norton Antivirus also told me it deleted the
        > infected attachment.

        No problem. :) I'm generally immune to e-mail virii because I run Linux
        and I check my e-mail about a billion times a day so hopefully I caught
        that one before anyone else on the list became infected. This sort of
        thing has happened one time before and the person who was infected was
        treated the same way -- removed, but welcome to come back when his
        computer was fixed. I understand these things happen.

        > Things have sure been slow lately. I wonder how many people are still using
        > their Transmondes. My SE2266 is still in daily use and has never given a
        > minutes trouble. I am starting to think about replacing it but the longer
        > it continues to perform flawlessly the cheaper the replacement becomes.

        There are over 70 people still subscribed to this mailing list
        sooo... someone is listening. ;)

        Last March, I bought an IBM T21. My Vibrant LS had so many defects.
        Cracks in the case which, in my opinion, is some kind of factory defect
        because it happened to me TWICE. They were from stress being put on the
        chassis while opening the laptop's lid. I was able to get the case
        replaced one time but soon after, ASE stopped honoring warrantees.

        The other problem I had with the Vibrant LS, and I know many others have
        the same problem, is the lose power connector. I still have the laptop
        and it's still a GREAT machine if only it would stay on reliably. Because
        of the lose connector, it powers down without warning and sometimes does
        not turn on. Also, the battery doesn't charge anymore -- this could be
        related to the power connector though. Sometime, I'm going to find
        someone brave enough to take it apart and look at it. I'm not sure that
        I'm that person. ;)

        So anyway, I highly recommend IBM laptops if you do need to replace your
        Transmonde. It's great that it's lasted so long for you. :)

        Jessica
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
          On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, George Knierim wrote:

          > Things have sure been slow lately. I wonder how many people are still using
          > their Transmondes. My SE2266 is still in daily use and has never given a
          > minutes trouble. I am starting to think about replacing it but the longer
          > it continues to perform flawlessly the cheaper the replacement becomes.

          No kiddin'. If I ever changed, it would be because of (1) loss, (2) screen
          size (the only real argument) or (3) mechanical failure, but not 'cause it's
          been inadequate. I <heart> my SE266.

          Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
          Home1: PO Box 914 Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914 kenny@...
          Home2: 38010 Village Cmn. #217 Fremont, CA 94536-7525 (510) 745-0101
          Work: 5141 California Suite 200, Irvine, CA 92612 (949) 737-2785
        • Les Tyrrell
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
            My Vivante/XL is still chugging along serving my desktop replacement needs
            rather well, aside from finally running out of space on my disk drive. 300
            Mhz, 1024x768 display, and 256 Mb RAM can be a useable configuration for quite
            a while. The only real heart-stopper was due to the CMOS battery dying and
            making the machine behave as if it had finally passed on. A very simple fix,
            but I dismantled it completely and in the process upgraded my RAM before I
            finally thought to replace that battery. My only real wish-list item would be
            to have a better suspend/resume feature, and perhaps a utility to provide a
            RAM disk ( I have 256 Mb that is powered up anyway, but I really don't need a
            physical disk drive spinning while programming on an airliner ).

            I think I may have some battery issues looming, but am not terribly worried-
            when the Panasonic pack gives out, I'll get more serious about shopping around
            sources like SR Batteries to buy new cans to replace whatever has gone wrong
            in the Panasonic package ( I used to be fairly active in R/C modelling-
            replacing individual cells in a flight pack is normal, so I don't expect to
            find anything extraordinarily difficult in replacing individual cells in my
            laptop's battery pack ). After all, its not as if I'd be invalidating a
            warranty or something.

            I'm pretty happy with this machine.

            - les
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
              On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Les Tyrrell wrote:

              > My Vivante/XL is still chugging along serving my desktop replacement needs
              > rather well, aside from finally running out of space on my disk drive.

              Heh. I took care of that twice already.

              > My only real wish-list item would be to have a better suspend/resume feature,
              > and perhaps a utility to provide a RAM disk

              I assume the XL is different from my SE? I have flawless disk suspend/resume
              (even under Linux, the only OS it boots) and I can even suspend-to-RAM if I
              set the right bit (also doable from a command-line).

              Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
              Home1: PO Box 914 Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914 kenny@...
              Home2: 38010 Village Cmn. #217 Fremont, CA 94536-7525 (510) 745-0101
              Work: 5141 California Suite 200, Irvine, CA 92612 (949) 737-2785
            • Dan Christensen
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
                Kenneth Crudup <kenny@...> writes:

                > I assume the XL is different from my SE? I have flawless disk suspend/resume
                > (even under Linux, the only OS it boots) and I can even suspend-to-RAM if I
                > set the right bit (also doable from a command-line).

                Are you saying that you can change whether you suspend to disk or to
                RAM without having to first reboot and change the BIOS setting? This
                is something I've wanted for a while. Can you explain how you do it?
                I run linux as well, on an SE.

                Dan

                --
                Dan Christensen
                jdc@...
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
                  On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Dan Christensen wrote:

                  > Are you saying that you can change whether you suspend to disk or to
                  > RAM without having to first reboot and change the BIOS setting? This
                  > is something I've wanted for a while. Can you explain how you do it?
                  > I run linux as well, on an SE.

                  I have my BIOS set to "suspend to disk" as a default.

                  "apm -s" does the full suspend to disk.
                  "apm -S" does the suspend to RAM. It's not *exactly* the same as what the
                  BIOS does (I *think* the BIOS also shuts off the power and leaves you with
                  a little icon), but the net effect (nothing's running but the RAM) is
                  the same.

                  There's certainly a way to do it programmatically, too (if Windows has the
                  ability- and I don't know if it does- to change the suspend method w/o
                  rebooting, then it can be done under linux, *somehow*).

                  Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
                  Home1: PO Box 914 Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914 kenny@...
                  Home2: 38010 Village Cmn. #217 Fremont, CA 94536-7525 (510) 745-0101
                  Work: 5141 California Suite 200, Irvine, CA 92612 (949) 737-2785
                • Dave & Sara Smith
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
                    Kenny wrote:

                    > I wonder how many people are still using their Transmondes ...

                    My SE 233 is still in reliable daily use, having run daily since I got it
                    years ago. Great machine!

                    And Les wrote:

                    > My only real wish-list item would be to have ... a utility to provide a
                    RAM disk

                    You might look at the SanDisk ImageMate CompactFlash reader or PC card
                    adapter. I get a nice 256 Mb RAM disk that way when I'm not using the 256
                    Mb CF card in my digital camera. It's a nice amount of removable RAM memory
                    without a rotating hard drive.

                    Regards,
                    Dave
                  • Dan Christensen
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
                      Kenneth Crudup <kenny@...> writes:

                      > On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Dan Christensen wrote:
                      >
                      >> Are you saying that you can change whether you suspend to disk or to
                      >> RAM without having to first reboot and change the BIOS setting? This
                      >> is something I've wanted for a while. Can you explain how you do it?
                      >> I run linux as well, on an SE.
                      >
                      > I have my BIOS set to "suspend to disk" as a default.
                      >
                      > "apm -s" does the full suspend to disk.
                      > "apm -S" does the suspend to RAM.

                      With my BIOS set to "suspend to RAM", "apm -s" does a suspend to
                      RAM, but "apm -S" just spins down the hard drive and makes the
                      screen go black (but not *blank*, it is still on). Even worse,
                      the hard drive spins back up and the screen is redisplayed after
                      about 1 second.

                      I'm pretty sure I also tried this when I had my BIOS set to "suspend
                      to disk", but it's hard for me to check now since I would have to
                      recreate my suspend to disk partition. (I deleted it so I would
                      have more disk space.) I wonder why it works for you and not for
                      me. Does it work for others on the list?

                      > There's certainly a way to do it programmatically, too (if Windows has the
                      > ability- and I don't know if it does- to change the suspend method w/o
                      > rebooting, then it can be done under linux, *somehow*).

                      Can anyone confirm whether Windows can do this?

                      Dan
                    • Marc Brughmans
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
                        I just upgraded the memory of my 3 year old vivante se 2-233 with 128 MB and
                        everything works very well.

                        Marc

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
                          On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Dan Christensen wrote:

                          > With my BIOS set to "suspend to RAM", "apm -s" does a suspend to
                          > RAM, but "apm -S" just spins down the hard drive and makes the
                          > screen go black (but not *blank*, it is still on). Even worse,
                          > the hard drive spins back up and the screen is redisplayed after
                          > about 1 second.

                          Ah- I've seen this. Read on:

                          > I wonder why it works for you and not for me.

                          You're right- but I've got "mobile-update" running (which doesn't hit the
                          disk ever 30 sec) and I've got APM <mumble something> enabled in my
                          kernel config. Mine will stay "off"ish (I get the same things you see
                          when I "Suspend to RAM", IIRC).

                          My screen does blank, however, after the screen-timeout I've got set in
                          the BIOS.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
                            Kenneth Crudup <kenny@...> writes:

                            > You're right- but I've got "mobile-update" running (which doesn't hit the
                            > disk ever 30 sec) and I've got APM <mumble something> enabled in my
                            > kernel config. Mine will stay "off"ish (I get the same things you see
                            > when I "Suspend to RAM", IIRC).

                            I think what you are doing is different from suspend to RAM. With
                            what you are doing, your cpu, video chip, sound chip, RAM, ... are
                            all still running. With suspend to RAM, they are all completely
                            shut off, except for the RAM. No need to worry about the update
                            daemon, since the cpu isn't running *any* processes.

                            As a test, you could see how long your machine lasts on battery power
                            after "apm -S". I suspect it will be about 5 hours. With suspend to
                            RAM, my machine can last something like 24 hours.

                            Dan
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
                              On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Dan Christensen wrote:

                              > As a test, you could see how long your machine lasts on battery power
                              > after "apm -S". I suspect it will be about 5 hours.

                              11H. I accidentally did this once. (Hell, back when my battery was new,
                              I'd get 5H of normal use *on*! :-)

                              > With suspend to RAM, my machine can last something like 24 hours.

                              *Really*?!

                              Before I got a Vivante SE, I'd had a <damn, it's been three years now> Vibrant
                              LS (IIRC). This machine didn't have S2D, just S2R, and I recall only getting
                              about 8 hrs before the batteries just up and died. I could never figure out
                              what the appeal of S2R *was* after that.

                              Why do you use it? Even with 128MB of RAM, I'm up and running in < 30 secs
                              after power-on.