Re: [transmonde] BIOS update

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 23, 2001
      On Sat, 22 Sep 2001, Dave & Sara Smith wrote:

      > Does anyone have a BIOS update file I can use to do the job?

      You might not need one.

      In any case, if you make your C: drive end at less than 1024 cylinders, the
      D: drive can be any size whatsoever.

      Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
      Home1: PO Box 914 Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914 kenny@...
      Home2: 38010 Village Cmn. #217 Fremont, CA 94536-7525 (510) 745-0101
      Work: 5141 California Suite 200, Irvine, CA 92612 (949) 737-2785
    • Anthony Williams
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 23, 2001
        Hi Dave,
        I don't know about any new bios updates - but you may want to check out the new USB hard drives...and keep your old one..unless it causing problems. I have a SE that I've had a few battles with... but it is still very dependable and I rely on it for my REAL work... take care,

        Anthony Williams
        Alantica Communications
        I have a Vivante SE that's run well since I bought it three years ago, and I'd like to upgrade the hard drive past its current 8 GB barrier.
        Does anyone have a BIOS update file I can use to do the job?

        Regards,
        Dave

      • Dave Smith
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 23, 2001

               Kenny Crudup wrote:
               You might not need one.

               In any case, if you make your C: drive end at less than 1024 cylinders, the
               D: drive can be any size whatsoever.

          Thanks Anthony and Kenny.

          My SE has been very reliable. I've used it every day since I bought it, taken it on trips, and used it mobile with a CDPD network. I even ran one VERY long program that took 5 weeks 24-hour/7-day-a-week without a hitch. But I had to replace the hard drive about a year ago after it crashed mechanically (started making bad noises and refused to cooperate in any way). The new drive is rated for 12 GB. But I accepted the 8 GB installation because the BIOS refused to accept anything more than that. The 12 GB drive cost about the same as a 6 GB drive (by a different manufacturer), so I got it for the additional 2 GB - and the hope that someday I'd figure a way to pass the 8 GB barrier. I've been using the 8 GB configuration reliably ever since then.

          The PartitionMagic FAQ describes the problem this way: "Another hard disk size barrier is encountered at 8.46 GB (7.88 GB binary). The reason for this limitation is related to how the BIOS handles hard disk geometry. The problem is that the BIOS's own limitation is 7.88 binary GB, which is the product of 1,024 cylinders, 256 heads, 63 sectors, and 512 bytes per sector. There is no translation that can get around this because it isn't the result of a combination of limitations like the 504 MB barrier. The only way to get around the 8 GB boundary is to change the way hard disk accesses are performed."

          I've partitioned the physical drive with 6 GB on the C: drive and 2 GB on the D: drive. The other 4 GB don't show, because of the way the BIOS accesses the disk.

          I appreciate that I could get an external USB drive. This effort is to see if someone in the group knows how to access the additional 4 GB I already have before I buy an external drive..

          Regards,
          Dave

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 23, 2001
            On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Dave Smith wrote:

            > I've partitioned the physical drive with 6 GB on the C: drive and 2 GB on
            > the D: drive. The other 4 GB don't show, because of the way the BIOS
            > accesses the disk.

            Damn, Windows is more screwed up than I thought; Linux will query the
            *drive*, not the BIOS, and get it right.