[transmonde] Re: Hi all, couple comments

  • Jessica Boyd
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 1999
      On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, K.B. Ta wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > that my Vivante XL is not built as well as _any_
      > of those on Fry's display including some old Pentium
      > models, (those model range from about $1000 to > $2000
      > and none have optional bays like the Vivante.).

      :/ I can only speak for the Vivante SE but it probably is built the same
      way as the XL since it seems to be it's counterpart.

      If you've read my review of the Vibrant LS... I seemed rather shocked on
      how well it was built. All I had to compare it to is the Vivante SE and I
      agree with you on the flimsyness of the case, etc.

      > Transmonde. I still have a week to return if I wanted to. I wonder this
      > machine is made of the same parts and materials of the Vibrant LS or for
      > that matter of the previous generation of Vivante. Any and all info,
      > advices are appreciated.

      I don't know if it's made of the same materials but I can tell you that
      the Vibrant LS is at least put together better than the SE and my guess
      would be also the XL... I noticed the plastic around the screen on the SE
      to be a little pulled away from the display. On the Vibrant LS it seems
      to be right up against it. The case feels strong and the screen does not
      squak when you open it.

      If you're truely worried about the XL breaking then call Transmonde.
      There have been rumors flying about the XLe coming soon or Transmonde
      releasing a new model soon. Don't quote me, I don't know if any of it is
      true but I think that if they were looking to replace a model, it would be
      the XL.

      - Jess

      Jessica Boyd <jessica.boyd@...> ICQ: 14133529

      My Homepage: My Transmonde Laptop Page:
      http://vgarden.cjb.net/ http://transmonde.cjb.net/

      Finger boydj1@... for my public PGP key.

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/transmonde
    • Shamim Mohamed
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 29, 1999
        > Vivante XL owners, do yours fans ever come on ? and are they noisy ?
        > quiet ?

        I have a Vivante XL, and my fan comes on occasionally. If I'm in a normal
        work environment (like at work) I can't hear it, I can only hear it when I
        work from home.

        I run Linux on it - http://www.drones.com/transmonde-linux.html - and the
        Linux kernel is very good about halting the CPU when there is no activity.
        I also run mobile-update which makes sure that it doesn't sync the disk
        unnecessarily.

        > Do your Vivante XL give you that feeling that it is fragile ? Mine does.

        The only other laptops I've seen a lot of are the Dells. My main impression
        is that my XL looks very boxy, the Dells have a more organic shape.
        Aesthetics aside, I have no complaints about the laptop casing - no loose
        seams or panels on mine. The display hinge doesn't squeak either. The panel
        in the back covering the docking port does seem pretty flimsy though. (But
        the Dells I've seen don't have a cover for the docking port.)

        My only complaint about the XL is that it uses the ESS Maestro sound chip
        which is unsupported under Linux. That just sucks!!!

        >> great. I've had a couple of problems, but it hasn't been too bad. Right
        >> now they have my laptop because the battery charger isn't running
        >> correctly and won't charge anything. Thank god for the extended
        >> warranty!

        I also had problems with the battery charging after I'd had it a couple of
        months; they sent me a new battery and it seems to be doing fine. However I
        won't really know for another couple of months.

        -s

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/transmonde