[transmonde] Re: Hi all, couple comments

  • K.B. Ta
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 1999
      Hi everyone,

      Strangely my Vivante XL's fan (if theres's one)
      never have come on, or else it must be a very
      quiet fan, despite the couple times it got pretty
      hot when I put it on top of a pillow in bed. I
      thought it was getting too hot and shut down by
      itself, turned out that the battery ran out and
      it suspended to disk. Vivante XL owners, do yours
      fans ever come on ? and are they noisy ? quiet ?

      Couple days ago, I went to Fry's and checkout
      a few of their laptops on display. I had the
      chance to compare the packaging between models
      and came away with a rather disturbing conclusion
      that my Vivante XL is not built as well as _any_
      of those on Fry's display including some old Pentium
      models, (those model range from about $1000 to > $2000
      and none have optional bays like the Vivante.).

      My Vivante XL squeaks whenever I move the LCD display
      to adjust viewing angle. The case rattles a little and
      does not feel solid. The port cover is very wimpy and
      there is a small slide window in the larger port cover
      that keeps sliding when I move the laptop.
      The larger port cover has already one side of the
      hinge broken due to my very little usage.
      All the seams of the packaging do not appear
      well sealed. The hard drive cover at the bottom of
      the laptop is not held down firmly and when I grasp
      the laptop to lift it off and out of the bag, my fingers
      are on this cover and it feels really loose that I
      am afraid that something is going to break. Do your
      Vivante XL give you that feeling that it is fragile ?
      Mine does. I'd like your comments first before I talk
      to Transmonde. I still have a week to return if I
      wanted to. I wonder this machine is made of the same parts
      and materials of the Vibrant LS or for that matter of the
      previous generation of Vivante. Any and all info,
      advices are appreciated.

      KB

      Larry Latson wrote:

      > Hi everybody,
      > I've had an SE since June of last year, and it has been
      > great. I've had a couple of problems, but it hasn't
      > been too bad. Right now they have my laptop because the
      > battery charger isn't running correctly and won't charge
      > anything. Thank god for the extended warranty!
      >
      > Regarding the fan noise, I agree that it is high. However,
      > after starting waterfall the fan will turn off within
      > 5 seconds or so.
      >
      > I was having trouble for a while with the DMA on my
      > cdrom (and DVD drive). Whenever i would run long installs
      > from a CD or rip MP3's, it would hang the machine, requiring
      > a hard-reboot. Not good. Tech support had me disable the
      > DMA option on the drive, and I haven't had any problems since.
      > Has anyone else experience this? I'm a little worried that it
      > might affect performance with the DMA turned off.
      >
      > I know there are some others things I meant to ask, but I
      > can't think of them off the top of my head. Anyway, it's great
      > to see this list set up.
      > LL
      > --
      > Larry Latson, Jr.
      > Work: (216) 533-9031 Home: (216) 371-6140
      > lal9@...
      > llatson1@...
      > latsonl@...

      > Just Tell Us What You Want...
      > Respond.com - Shopping the World for You!
      > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/390
      >
      > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/transmonde

      Regards,

      Khanh-Binh (K.B.) Ta

      Motorola Email: khabita@...
      Pico Design Email: K.B._Ta-RXDB70@...
      1150 Kifer Road, Suite 200 Phone: 408-991-7404
      Sunnyvale, CA 94086 FAX: 408-991-7474

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/transmonde
    • Jessica Boyd
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 29, 1999
        On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, K.B. Ta wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > that my Vivante XL is not built as well as _any_
        > of those on Fry's display including some old Pentium
        > models, (those model range from about $1000 to > $2000
        > and none have optional bays like the Vivante.).

        :/ I can only speak for the Vivante SE but it probably is built the same
        way as the XL since it seems to be it's counterpart.

        If you've read my review of the Vibrant LS... I seemed rather shocked on
        how well it was built. All I had to compare it to is the Vivante SE and I
        agree with you on the flimsyness of the case, etc.

        > Transmonde. I still have a week to return if I wanted to. I wonder this
        > machine is made of the same parts and materials of the Vibrant LS or for
        > that matter of the previous generation of Vivante. Any and all info,
        > advices are appreciated.

        I don't know if it's made of the same materials but I can tell you that
        the Vibrant LS is at least put together better than the SE and my guess
        would be also the XL... I noticed the plastic around the screen on the SE
        to be a little pulled away from the display. On the Vibrant LS it seems
        to be right up against it. The case feels strong and the screen does not
        squak when you open it.

        If you're truely worried about the XL breaking then call Transmonde.
        There have been rumors flying about the XLe coming soon or Transmonde
        releasing a new model soon. Don't quote me, I don't know if any of it is
        true but I think that if they were looking to replace a model, it would be
        the XL.

        - Jess

        Jessica Boyd <jessica.boyd@...> ICQ: 14133529

        My Homepage: My Transmonde Laptop Page:
        http://vgarden.cjb.net/ http://transmonde.cjb.net/

        Finger boydj1@... for my public PGP key.

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/transmonde
      • Shamim Mohamed
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 29, 1999
          > Vivante XL owners, do yours fans ever come on ? and are they noisy ?
          > quiet ?

          I have a Vivante XL, and my fan comes on occasionally. If I'm in a normal
          work environment (like at work) I can't hear it, I can only hear it when I
          work from home.

          I run Linux on it - http://www.drones.com/transmonde-linux.html - and the
          Linux kernel is very good about halting the CPU when there is no activity.
          I also run mobile-update which makes sure that it doesn't sync the disk
          unnecessarily.

          > Do your Vivante XL give you that feeling that it is fragile ? Mine does.

          The only other laptops I've seen a lot of are the Dells. My main impression
          is that my XL looks very boxy, the Dells have a more organic shape.
          Aesthetics aside, I have no complaints about the laptop casing - no loose
          seams or panels on mine. The display hinge doesn't squeak either. The panel
          in the back covering the docking port does seem pretty flimsy though. (But
          the Dells I've seen don't have a cover for the docking port.)

          My only complaint about the XL is that it uses the ESS Maestro sound chip
          which is unsupported under Linux. That just sucks!!!

          >> great. I've had a couple of problems, but it hasn't been too bad. Right
          >> now they have my laptop because the battery charger isn't running
          >> correctly and won't charge anything. Thank god for the extended
          >> warranty!

          I also had problems with the battery charging after I'd had it a couple of
          months; they sent me a new battery and it seems to be doing fine. However I
          won't really know for another couple of months.

          -s

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/transmonde