Hard Drive info

  • Ben & Alcira McConnell
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 9, 2001
      Hello,

      I have a vivante SE with a hitachi 4.0 GB hard drive-does anyone know
      what may be an easy larger capacity hard drive to update with?-I
      would like to keep my same BIOS program if possible!

      Also-where to get the new hard drive at the best price!

      Ben III
      fotlaser@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9, 2001
        On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Ben & Alcira McConnell wrote:

        > I have a vivante SE with a hitachi 4.0 GB hard drive-does anyone know
        > what may be an easy larger capacity hard drive to update with?

        FWIW, I've got a 6.4GB IBM drive in mine. I'm sure the BIOS can handle any
        modern large drive thrown at it.

        Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
        Home1: PO Box 914 Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914 kenny@...
        Home2: 38010 Village Cmn. #217 Fremont, CA 94536-7525 (510) 745-0101
      • Dave Smith
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 9, 2001
          Ben,

          You can upgrade to 8 Gigs without changing the bios. I did it with my
          Vivante SE. To get more than that requires a bios change or an overlay
          program. Any of the standard (small) drives will fit into the caddy that
          holds your current drive.

          Regards,
          Dave
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 9, 2001
            On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Dave Smith wrote:

            > You can upgrade to 8 Gigs without changing the bios. I did it with my
            > Vivante SE. To get more than that requires a bios change or an overlay
            > program.

            Well, you can always make a "C:" drive that fits into less than the 1023rd
            sector, and your "D:" can fill the remaining space.

            Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
            Home1: PO Box 914 Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914 kenny@...
            Home2: 38010 Village Cmn. #217 Fremont, CA 94536-7525 (510) 745-0101
          • Larry Latson
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 9, 2001
              Dave Smith wrote:

              > Ben,
              >
              > You can upgrade to 8 Gigs without changing the bios. I did it with my
              > Vivante SE. To get more than that requires a bios change or an overlay
              > program. Any of the standard (small) drives will fit into the caddy that
              > holds your current drive.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Dave

              Just to clarify:

              To find a drive, search any online computer store (egghead, CDW, ebay,
              etc.) for 2.5" IDE drives. Any manufacturer's drive will work (IBM,
              Toshiba, etc). For the SE, I believe that they must be 12.5mm or less in
              height. Anything larger will not fit in the caddy. Many are only 8mm or
              so; this is okay.

              As to whether or not you will have problems over the 8GB limit... That
              depends on your BIOS version. From my own (exhaustive) searching in this
              area, it appears that there are at least two versions of the BIOS for
              SE's. Earlier ones (like mine) will not recognize anything above 8GB;
              later ones have no problems at all. There is no upgrade program
              available - believe me, I've looked. If you really want a large hard
              drive, buy from a place with a good return policy and give it a shot
              (many charge 15% restocking fee, which can be expensive, so watch out).

              Hope that helps,

              LL
              --
              Larry A Latson, Jr.