Re: [transmonde] Selling a Vibrant LS?

  • George Knierim
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2001
      I'm sorry to see the Transmonde's dying off.  I wonder if I am a special case?  I have a Vivante with a P2-266 and it has been flawless from day one.  It's never been in the shop and the only time I have messed with it was to switch from Win95 to Win98 about a year after Win98 came out.

      My company is supplying employee's with Toshiba 4300's now and I don't really see a lot of difference in performance.  In fact, the main difference I see is the growth in hard disk capacity from 4 GB to 12 GB.

      George Knierim
      Dallas
    • Jessica Boyd
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2001
        While we're on the topic of selling Transmondes or pricing them part by
        part... is anyone looking for parts for a Vibrant LS? Or wanting to buy
        the entire thing?

        It's a PII 300mhz, 13.3" TFT (no dead or stuck pixels!), 6gb hdd, 128mb
        ram, cd-rom/floppy built in, sound, etc. I'd be willing to sell it with a
        10BaseT 3com NIC card (w/dongle) and the OEM version of Windows 98 that
        came with it. It does not have the built in modem, however. You can
        get the full specs from:
        http://transmonde.geek.net/review2-jessica-boyd-05-17-99.shtml

        The only thing that has changed is that I added 64mb ram and I'd be
        selling the ram with the laptop if someone wants it, etc.

        I'd sell it with a nice case I have too, I believe it's this one:
        http://www.terrapinpc.com/SS200.html I think the case looks pretty much
        brand new, I've never really used it. It's sat in a closet.

        In the next month or two, I'll be buying a new laptop. I'll still keep
        the Transmonde site up -- but hopefully I won't have one anymore. ;)

        There are problems with my Vibrant LS:
        * Battery doesn't work / doesn't charge
        * Missing Z key
        * Cracks in chassis in a few places (did this happen to any other Vibrant
        LS owners? It has happened to me TWICE which leads me to believe it is
        a design flaw and not something I am doing wrong. I was able to get it
        fixed before ASE stopped doing service, but the cracks developed again.)

        *** I can provide pictures of the laptop (and any of the problems
        mentioned) if someone wants to see it before buying, etc. I have a good
        digital camera so the quality would be good.

        One more thing that might be a problem but I'm doing some experiments to
        see how it is working. The machine was powering off whenever it wanted to
        -- sometimes when I was using it and sometimes not! For the past two
        days, I've been running it without the (bad) battery in it to see if that
        makes a difference. So far, it hasn't turned off yet. :) I think if
        someone gets a new battery for this model or just decides to use it on a
        desk (without the battery!) it would be OK. I bet you could remove the
        plastic piece from the battery and stick it onto the laptop so the battery
        bay was covered. I'm not going to mess with it.

        Let me know if you're interested. I'm looking at the machine trying to
        figure out if there's something I've forgotten. :)

        Thanks,
        Jess