advice on upgrading hard drive and cpu of Vivante SE

  • Dan Christensen
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 21, 2000
      I am thinking of upgrading my hard drive and CPU and was hoping that
      some people on this list have some advice they could share.

      First, the hard drive: the main reason I want to upgrade is to get
      something faster. My HD is a 6G Hitachi that came with my Vivante SE
      when I bought it almost two years ago. I find it to be very slow.
      Can anyone recommend a faster drive, which is also relatively energy
      efficient? 8 to 9G would be perfect. Can anyone guess how many rpm
      my drive would be? I can't find this in any of the docs. Will any
      2.5" IDE drive work?

      My CPU is a Celeron 300. I chose this because it was inexpensive and
      doesn't consume much power, but now I'd like a bit more speed, maybe
      50 to 100% more. Would something like a Celeron 500 be a good option?
      Or a Pentium? Or something from AMD? Will any mobile chip fit into
      my motherboard? How will the energy use of a modern 500MHz cpu
      compare with that of a two year old Celeron 300?

      For both of the above, I would be interested in feedback about vendors
      which people are happy or unhappy with.

      any responses sent directly to me.

      Thanks,

      Dan