Re: [transmonde] Vivante XL Ram..

  • Les Tyrrell
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2000
      > Does anyone know what the Standard setup is for the
      > VIvante XL as far as RAM. I have 64 Megs, I think it
      > has a 128meg capacity. Right now do I have two 32 meg
      > cards or one 64? Also where can I get ram from? Or
      > is anyone selling RAM for the Vivante XL?
      >
      > Amit

      I got my RAM from 3Klix.com. They explicitly listed the Vivante XL, so I felt more comfortable about buying from them since I was
      concerned about getting the right kind. More knowledgeable folks could probably give you other options.

      My Vivante XL is now running happily with 256Mb in it, and that is the max as far as I know. This is done with two 128Mb modules.
      However, I have to warn you that to change the RAM you are going to have to completely dismantle your Vivante, and while that is not
      too hard to do there are lots of little screws to keep straight ( use paper cups or whatever and label in manner that will make it
      easy to put them right back in the right spots, as it does matter ) and you will need to know a few "secrets" to be able to do take
      the Vivante apart easily ( if it is hard, then you don't know one of the secrets and you need to STOP and ASK for help- otherwise
      you are going to trash your Vivante ). Also, and this is a big point to consider, you are going to have to remove your CPU
      daughtercard. For various reasons, I did this about a dozen times and cringed each time. But I made it, and it is running happily.
      But you will need to be very very careful about remembering exactly how your Vivante is built in this area- I would reccomend taking
      pictures, and waiting whatever time is neccessary for your pictures to be developed before taking this apart. Otherwise, you get to
      do this part over and over again, HOPING that you are not destroying your computer in the process. And that's just one of the joys
      of the process- I'm pretty sure that there is no way to do this without also removing the screen.

      So yes there are suppliers ( were a few months ago anyway ), and if you know what you are doing then it is actually fairly
      straightforward to do this, BUT you don't know what you are doing, and it WONT be straightforward, so if you really want to do this
      be very patient, and don't hesitate to ask questions along the way. DOCUMENT what you do- if I had, I could have pointed you to a
      website showing How I Did It. It took me a month to do mine, but I stopped every time it refused to yield and would come back to it
      the next day or so later.

      Good luck!

      - les
    • Amit Kalra
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2000
        Do you still have your old 64 meg RAM card? Would you
        be willing to sell it?

        http://shopping.yahoo.com/