Recovered XL

  • Jim Carey
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2000
      This weekend I got my Vivante XL working again. My wife likes to use it
      while lying in bed, putting a lot of stress on the DC power connector.
      The system stopped working a while ago.

      A couple of weeks ago, we took it apart, to find the power connector had
      pulled off the motherboard on one side. We pushed the connector (which
      had been soldered) back into motherboard, and it then charged the
      battery.
      However it didn't boot.

      Yesterday, I disassembled it again (taking pictures this time :-), took
      a pointed toothpick and some epoxy, and jammed the toothpick into the
      hole where the power connector connected to the motherboard and spread
      the epoxy around the joint between the motherboard and the connector.
      We changed the CMOS battery, and reassembled the system. It is now
      happily up and running again.

      I have to transfer the pictures to my PC, and I was thinking of making a
      second set with the screws highlighted. I never did get the motherboard
      out of the case (it was hung up by the PCMCIA connector and some of the
      other connectors), but I did strip it down to that point.

      Jim