Re: [transmonde] Re: Good source for RAM

  • kenny@panix.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 17, 2000
      1. Was the standard 64 Megs of RAM that came with the Vivante
      SE a single 64 Meg SO DIMM, or two 32 Meg SO DIMMs? If the former,
      is there an open bank that I could plug a 64 Meg chip into, raising the
      overall RAM to 128 megs?

      Mine came with 32MB and I added 32MB to max it out at 64MB. You could go
      higher than 64MB, but the chipset on the SE won't cache any more than 64MB.

      2. At the site you recommend, they have SO DIMMs for PC 100
      and PC66. I assume these are bus speeds, and that what I need for a PII 233
      Vivante SE is the PC66 flavor. Is that correct?

      Yes. 66MHz.

      -Kenny
    • George Knierim
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 17, 2000
        ÿþ
      • George Knierim
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 17, 2000
          ÿþ
        • Dan Christensen
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 21, 2000
            I am thinking of upgrading my hard drive and CPU and was hoping that
            some people on this list have some advice they could share.

            First, the hard drive: the main reason I want to upgrade is to get
            something faster. My HD is a 6G Hitachi that came with my Vivante SE
            when I bought it almost two years ago. I find it to be very slow.
            Can anyone recommend a faster drive, which is also relatively energy
            efficient? 8 to 9G would be perfect. Can anyone guess how many rpm
            my drive would be? I can't find this in any of the docs. Will any
            2.5" IDE drive work?

            My CPU is a Celeron 300. I chose this because it was inexpensive and
            doesn't consume much power, but now I'd like a bit more speed, maybe
            50 to 100% more. Would something like a Celeron 500 be a good option?
            Or a Pentium? Or something from AMD? Will any mobile chip fit into
            my motherboard? How will the energy use of a modern 500MHz cpu
            compare with that of a two year old Celeron 300?

            For both of the above, I would be interested in feedback about vendors
            which people are happy or unhappy with.

            any responses sent directly to me.

            Thanks,

            Dan