Vivante XL Revived! ( was: Re: BIOS error beep codes for Vivante XL? )

  • abord@n2mail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 8 11:27 PM
      Hi, Les!
      That's really good that you were able to find the cause of the
      problem. So this is the one, the CMOS battery. I'm curious how long
      the old CMOS battery lasted. I noticed that people report that their
      Vivantes/Vibrants go dead (read CMOS goes dead) after about 1.5 year
      of true and faithful work. Is this your case too?

      This is odd, 1.5 year is not what one should expect from a litium
      cell, usually they last about 3 years, so does the extended warranty,
      usually :) But since a lot of folks found their CMOS batteries dead
      after about 1.5 year of service that means this notebook model was
      upgraded by Transmonde on the go. I mean the main boards were the
      same
      (old), and only 'upgradable' parts (RAM,HDD,bigger LCD ) has been
      replaced to match the market. At least this is more likely with
      Vivantes since the CMOS battery appears to be soldered, and therefore
      not immediately replaceable. So if Transmonde would still be active
      they would have been experiencing quite a load replacing dead
      warrantied CMOS batteries.

      Anyway, those are just thoughts. The point is, everyone should get
      oneself ready to replace the CMOS battery. Those who did this --
      SHARE
      THE EXPERIENCE!

      LES! and the followers, when you are done with the Vivate's surgery,
      could you at least describe the steps you have taken. And since
      replacement involves SOLDERING, and if you did it yourself -- YOUR
      EXPERIENCE BECOMES VITAL for all of us, your fellow computriots.

      Thanks,

      AB