Our Transmonde Was Stolen!!!

  • Midas Gold
    Message 1 of 2 , May 18, 2000
      Our Vivante XL (Pentium II 400 / 128 RAM / 10 GB / all the bells and
      whistles) was stolen from our rental car while on vacation.
      Fortunately it was insured, and our insurance company should soon be
      sending us a check for $3000-3500. Gee, and we had just jumped
      through all of ASE-USA's hoops to get it repaired...

      *** Is this a blessing in disguise??? ***

      (No, cynics: we did *not* orchestrate this theft; we would *never* do
      such a thing - we just got "lucky," I guess. Besides, who in his/her
      right mind would go to the trouble and expense of shipping the thing
      to ASE for repairs if we didn't intend to keep it?)

      ...So, folks, what should we replace it with? We'd rather not repeat
      the experience of having our laptop's manufacturer vaporize just weeks
      after buying it, but we sure would like to find a company that has
      some semblance of the kind of technical support that Transmonde
      boasted in its heyday - not to mention get ourselves a real nice
      replacement. (I guess this is our second chance to get the laptop we
      should've gotten in the first place instead of gambling on
      Transmonde...)

      What what you get, if you were in our shoes?

      --
      MG
      Message 2 of 2 , May 21, 2000
        >...So, folks, what should we replace it with? We'd rather not repeat
        >the experience of having our laptop's manufacturer vaporize just weeks
        >after buying it, but we sure would like to find a company that has

        >What what you get, if you were in our shoes?

        I'm not sure. I do remember that I was looking at Winbook laptops before I
        bought my Vivante SE. Depending on your opinion of your former Transmonde,
        you may want to avoid notebooks made by ASE Technologies (or vice versa).

        Phil Calvert

        The Age of the Electronic Secretary is HERE!
        One Phone Number, Over 100 FEATURES!
        The Leader in Unified Messaging Technology
        For details, send a blank e-mail to:
        mailto:esainfo@...

        NetZero - Defenders of the Free World