[transmonde] FreeBSD?

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 19, 2000
      >Anyone using Windows 98 SE on a Transmonde, especially a Transmonde SE?

      While we're on the subject on operating systems, anyone running FreeBSD on
      a Transmonde laptop? I know there are people out there running Linux, but
      FreeBSD is supposed to be MUCH more stable than Linux. I heard that it's
      an easy install,too.

      Phil Calvert

      The Age of the Electronic Secretary is HERE!
      One Phone Number, Over 100 FEATURES!
      The Leader in Unified Messaging Technology
      For details, send a blank e-mail to:
      mailto:esainfo@...

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 20, 2000
        While we're on the subject on operating systems, anyone running FreeBSD on
        a Transmonde laptop? I know there are people out there running Linux, but
        FreeBSD is supposed to be MUCH more stable than Linux.

        "MUCH more stable"?

        My Vivante SE running Linux "crashes" *only* if I slip up and brush the on/off
        button by mistake. I've got uptimes on that box in the *months* (I don't
        ever reboot it, just suspend/wakeup it).

        Not only that, everything works but DVD (which might by now, but I don't have
        one): Xwindows. APM. Sound. PCMCIA.

        ... how much more stable do you want? :-)

        -Kenny
      • Berk
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 20, 2000
          Kenny is right. Nothing more stable than Linux/Unix. That is why
          Microsoft is so worried.

          Berk

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 22, 2000
            >Kenny is right. Nothing more stable than Linux/Unix. That is why
            >Microsoft is so worried.
            >
            >Berk

            FreeBSD, like Linux, is one of the many "flavors" of Unix-like operating
            systems. Since I read some good things about it, I wanted to investigate
            further. For example, Yahoo! uses FreeBSD, and co-founder David Filo had
            some very good things to say about it (see
            http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bay/6986/yahoobsd.htm ). There are
            many others who feel the same way. My main concern about FreeBSD is that
            there may not be drivers available to allow me to use it on my Transmonde SE.

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 22, 2000
              >My Vivante SE running Linux "crashes" *only* if I slip up and brush the
              on/off
              >button by mistake. I've got uptimes on that box in the *months* (I don't
              >ever reboot it, just suspend/wakeup it).
              >
              >Not only that, everything works but DVD (which might by now, but I don't have
              >one): Xwindows. APM. Sound. PCMCIA.
              >
              >... how much more stable do you want? :-)
              >
              > -Kenny

              Kenny,

              Which Linux do you use? There are supposed to be distinct differences
              between the different distributions.

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 29, 2000
                FYI, I've been running following on my Transmonde Vibrant LS :
                RedHat 5.2/6.0
                Mandrake6.0
                Slackware 3.5/4.0/7.0
                OpenBSD 2.6

                My linux preference goes to Slackware (more control0 however now
                OpenBSD is on the Vibrant to stay.

                original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/transmonde/?start=111