Issa haiku - moon superb, fleas

  • chris drake
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2013
      the moon superb --
      I go inside to
      flea hell

      yoi tsuki ya            uchi e haireba            nomi-jigoku
      the moon                when I go inside        flea hell
      good!/superb!/
      magnificent!

      This hokku is from the 6th month (July) of 1825, probably from 6/15, the night of the full moon, since it is placed in Issa's diary soon before a poem obviously written on 6/16. This was the summer after Issa's divorce and his temporary speech loss the previous autumn, and in July he was staying with various students who lived not far from his hometown. There may have been a moon-viewing ceremony and small party outside, but afterwards Issa returns to earth and then to the nether regions.

      Chris
    • Greve Gabi
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2013
        thanks for the fleas, Chris!