Issa haiku - cat, year-end party

  • chris drake
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2013
      the cat sits down
      as one of us --
      year-end party

      o-nakama ni        neko mo zadoru ya         toshi-wasure
      in our group        the cat sits down,              year-end party
                                   too

      This hokku is from the 12th month (January) in 1820, at the end of the year chronicled in Year of My Life (Oraga haru). Year-end parties held by families, friends, and colleagues were called "year-forgetting" parties, because they were unrestrained and people could have a good time singing, dancing, and drinking until they could get over the negative memories of things that had happened during the year and relive the good memories before going on to the next year. Issa's beloved young daughter had died in the 6th month, so he had a lot to feel sad about, but he preserved her memory in Year of My Life. In the same way, the party in this hokku is probably less about simple forgetting than about dealing with and confessing one's feelings about negative things that happened and getting a bit of closure. The cat obviously considers itself one of the group, and the feeling seems to be mutual. What psychic wounds from the year does it still carry? What unspeakable things did it witness?

      Chris

    • Greve Gabi
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2013
        Thanks for another toshi wasure ... Now we are happily in January 2.
        http://wkdkigodatabase03.blogspot.jp/2007/12/end-of-year.html

        Gabi